Tag Archives: Luke Skywalker

Abuse Jar Jar in Angry Birds Star Wars 2

These days, if you’ve got a popular mainstream kids property, you’re finding ways to tie the sale of physical toys and games together. Skylanders did it, Disney soon followed, and now it looks like we’re adding Rovio’s Angry Birds to the list. I got to see it all for myself in a hands-on demo of Angry Birds Star Wars II here at San Diego Comic-Con.

The physical play sets, where you slingshot a Luke Skywalker bird at a Death Star-shaped pile of bricks, isn’t new. Neither is the digital experience on the iPad. For Angry Birds Star Wars II, Rovio is bringing the two experiences together, letting players use their physical toys in the tablet version of the game.

The new playsets, which retail for $14.99, will include a single iconic structure, such as a Star Destroyer, as well as a slingshot and two characters. Smaller packs of two characters will also be available for $4.99. You can use these to smash up the regular structures, but to make the most of the new toys, you’ll want to break out the new iPad app (due out September 19).

Continue reading…

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at IGN Video Games

Dark Horse Chronicles "The Star Wars"

Dark Horse has launched a number of new Star Wars comics in 2013, including Brian Wood‘s post-Episode IV-era Star Wars and Gabriel Hardman’s Star Wars Legacy sequel. But the publisher has announced a new Star Wars project that easily ranks as one of their most unexpected and unique to date. We’d almost expect this was an April Fool’s Day joke if it weren’t first revealed at WonderCon yesterday.

Dark Horse‘s newest comic is called “The Star Wars.” This eight-issue mini-series is adapted from George Lucas‘ original screenplay draft of what would eventually become the original Star Wars film we all know and love. The Star Wars features Annikin Starkiller and his family as the main characters, along with a number of other familiar elements that would be reworked in later drafts. For example, Luke Skywalker is a respected Jedi general, Han Solo is a reptilian alien, and the Sith Knights and their Death Star are the great menace to the galaxy.

Continue reading…

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at IGN Movies

Star Wars' Original Cast a Death Star for Disney?

By Steve Symington, The Motley Fool

Filed under:

Earlier this week, the entertainment world was abuzz with excitement following comments from Star Wars actress Carrie Fisher — also known as Princess Leia.

The rumor mill
But first, here’s some background for those of you who haven’t been keeping track.

Star Wars rumors have been swirling since last November, when Disney acquired Lucasfilm for $4 billion and wasted no time announcing plans for a Star Wars: Episode VII movie, slated for release in 2015.

Shortly afterward, a “highly placed source” told Entertainment Weekly that Fisher, Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamill were all “upbeat” about the prospects of reprising their respective roles as Princess Leia, Han Solo, and Luke Skywalker.

Commence nerdy meltdowns:

Source: Fanboys movie

Now fast-forward to this week.

When asked during an interview if she could confirm whether she would return to as Leia in the new sequelFisher simply replied, “Yes.” Then she jokingly suggested Leia will be elderly, “in an intergalactic old folks’ home, [and] just like she was before, only slower and less inclined to be up for the big battle.”

Of course, Fisher’s rep later quickly tried to douse the rumors, insisting she was only kidding about the role.

Meet your maker
Then George Lucas himself stepped out and matter-of-factly told Bloomberg Businessweek that Hamill, Fisher, and Ford are ready to suit up. Apparently, according to Lucas, all three were on board even before Disney’s acquisition of his company:

We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison — or we were pretty much in the final stages of negotiation. Maybe I’m not supposed to say that. I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them. I won’t say whether negotiations were successful or not.

It’s OK, George. We forgive you.

But this is an investing site, right?
So who wins in this scenario? Arguably everyone.

Aside from the fact Fisher, Hamill, and Ford were almost certainly lured in part by massive paydays, it’s safe to say Disney probably knows better than any other company the long-term value of stirring excitement for an iconic brand.

In fact, that’s one big reason I recently offered Disney as a viable option for investors looking for stocks to hold for the next 50 years

Fortunately for Disney investors, its most recent big buy is looking like an even better deal by the day; just last week, Disney also announced that it’s working on two additional Star Wars character-specific spin-off movies to be released after Episode VII. With more than 17,000 Star Wars characters in the Star Wars Universe from several thousand planets covering a span of 20,000 years, Disney has plenty of new material on which to chew — and a loyal fan base that’ll eat up every bit of it.

If that weren’t enough, thanks to Disney’s $4 billion acquisition in 2009 of comics powerhouse Marvel — which boasts its own library of more than 9,000 characters — the House of Mouse has a whole …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at DailyFinance

Princess Leia, Golden Arches Help the Dow Set its 4th Record

By Dan Caplinger, The Motley Fool

Filed under:

The string of record-high closes for the Dow Jones Industrials reached four today, as the Dow climbed 68 points on the heels of a strong employment report. Some economists downplayed the report, arguing that it doesn’t yet fully incorporate the impact of higher tax rates for 2013 as well as other looming threats, like government spending cuts under the sequester. Yet, investors weren’t inclined to worry too much about those future fears, instead taking the S&P 500 to within 1% of its record-high close back in 2007.

Within the Dow, Disney was the top gainer. The stock rocketed higher by almost 2% after the company announced that the next installment of the Star Wars saga would feature original Princess Leia actress Carrie Fisher, along with Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamill, who played Han Solo and Luke Skywalker, respectively. With billions of moviegoers waiting impatiently for the seventh film in the series, Disney has some serious star power to send the movie into hyperdrive.

McDonald’s climbed 1.7% after announcing its sales results for the month of February. Even though same-store sales disturbingly fell again, one thing to note is that last February had 29 days due to the 2012 leap year. Once you take out that impact, same-store sales worldwide were actually up 1.7%. Still, the domestic introduction of Fish McBites, and other attempts to boost revenue, didn’t produce the results that the company had hoped for. The company needs to reawaken growth in order to sustain its share-price gains.

Trucking giant Navistar jumped another 11%, adding to its 28% gain yesterday. As often happens, an analyst upgrade provided a second leg up for the stock after the company’s strong earnings results prompted yesterday’s rise. With activist investor Carl Icahn involved in the stock and endorsing the company’s new CEO, Navistar appears to have made big strides in turning itself around.

Finally, Hecla Mining rebounded 4% after a big drop earlier in the week after the company made a bid for Aurizon Mines. Investors were initially worried that Hecla may have overpaid for the company in its attempt to outbid Alamos Gold, but an analyst upgrade suggested that the acquisition may actually add value for Hecla going forward.

Has Lucasfilm made Disney a must-buy for investors? Find out in The Motley Fool’s new premium research report, which lays out the case for investing in Disney today. This report includes the key items investors must watch, as well as the opportunities and threats the company faces going forward. So don’t miss out — simply click here now to claim your copy today.

var FoolAnalyticsData = FoolAnalyticsData || []; …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at DailyFinance

Why I'm Still Hoping Carrie Fisher And Mark Hamill Don't Return To 'Star Wars'

By Dorothy Pomerantz, Forbes Staff

It’s looking more and more like Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford are actually returning to a galaxy far, far away to reprise their roles as Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo in the newest Star Wars film from Disney slated to hit theaters in 2015. …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Forbes Latest

Mark Hamill on Star Wars: Episode VII

Recent reports have surfaced that Harrison Ford is indeed set to return for Star Wars: Episode VII and that the film will focus on the Skywalker and Solo children. Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill, spoke to Entertainment Tonight recently to clarify his involvement and talk a bit about the possible return of Luke, Leia and Han Solo.

“They’re talking to us,” he said. “George

wanted to know whether we’d be interested. He did say that if we didn’t want to do it, they wouldn’t cast another actor in our parts – they would write us out. … I can tell you right away that we haven’t signed any contracts. We’re in the stage where they want us to go in and meet with Michael Arndt, who is the writer, and Kathleen Kennedy, who is going to run Lucasfilm. Both have had meetings set that were postponed — on their end, not mine. They’re more busy than I am.”

Continue reading…

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at IGN Movies

Episode VII: The Skywalker and Solo Kids?

There might be a new hope (see what we did there?) for those yearning to see the offspring of the Skywalkers and Solos on the big screen.

According to veteran Hollywood columnist Roger Friedman at Showbiz 411, Star Wars: Episode VII will be set “some time in the future

. Han, Princess Leia (with a presumably better hairstyle), and Luke Skywalker will be a lot older. Their children will be the new main characters. RsD2

and C-3PO will be unchanged, I would guess. since they are not human. But suffice to say, the three main actors are definitely coming back. The bigger question is, which young actors will play their kids?”

Continue reading…

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at IGN Movies

LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out on DVD

Following a record breaking debut on Cartoon Network, LEGO and Lucasfilm announced today that LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out will be getting a DVD release on March 26.

Here’s the official synopsis: “The heroes of the Rebel Alliance including heroic Luke Skywalker, swaggering Han Solo and steadfast Princess Leia have no time to celebrate their victory over the Empire as a new Imperial threat arises. But as Jedi-in training Luke embarks on this next mission, he discovers that his celebrity status as a ‘Death-Star-Blower-Upper’ can be a double-edged lightsaber when he’s constantly mobbed by crazed fans. So much for secret missions! Meanwhile, Darth Vader and Darth Maul are locked in a hilarious ‘Sith-ling’ rivalry as they compete for the Emperor’s approval. It’s an action-packed comic adventure that’s out of this world!”

Continue reading…

Source: FULL ARTICLE at IGN Movies