Tag Archives: Camp Lejeune

Florida Marine vet fights male breast cancer, government

Marine veteran Tom Gervasi has spent the last 10 years fighting cancer and the U.S. government.

The 76-year-old Sarasota man has a rare form of breast cancer that he believes is due to contaminated drinking water at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, where he trained in the mid-1950s.

On Friday, Gervasi went into the hospital so doctors could snake a camera into his lungs to check for cancerous lesions. He’s been coughing and short of breath in recent months, and can barely shuffle from his living room to his screened-in porch without leaning on his cane and stopping to catch his breath.

Gervasi said he is struggling to stay alive so he can win compensation from the government and not leave his wife, Elaine, with any of his medical debt. They will mark their 57th wedding anniversary on March 24. When they retired to Florida nearly a dozen years ago, they assumed they would play tennis, walk the beach and travel the world.

Those plans haven’t been possible because of Gervasi’s illness, not even quick jaunts up north to visit their grandchildren. The couple has focused solely on Gervasi’s seemingly endless doctors’ appointments and trying to convince the Department of Veterans Affairs that the contaminated water caused the cancer.

According to a VA fact sheet, “at this time available scientific and clinical evidence is not sufficient to establish a presumptive association between service at Camp Lejeune and any subsequent development of particular diseases.”

The Gervasis both have a robust sense of humor and Tom still displays the demeanor of the strapping ex-police detective that he once was, trying to smile and joke around his anger.

“I love life. I’m not ready to die. You know, I believe in God. When God wants to take me, God will take me. But I’m fighting to stay alive,” he said.

VA spokesman Randal Noller wrote in an email Friday that the agency couldn’t discuss individual cases without a signed privacy waiver form.

Despite no scientific link between the water and disease, federal officials have acknowledged problems.

Health officials believe as many as 1 million people may have been exposed to tainted water. A VA representative has said the approval rate for claims related to the contamination is about 25 percent so far. As of September, the VA had granted 17 breast cancer claims and denied 13 others. Not all were men.

In March 2003, Elaine noticed that the nipple on her husband’s left breast was inverted and the skin nearby was dimpled and urged him to get a mammogram. The results were unusual and devastating: he had breast cancer. While the disease affects one in eight women, it affects just one in 1,000 men.

After his left breast and 31 lymph nodes were removed and after he endured chemotherapy and radiation, a cousin showed him a news article. People who had been stationed at Lejeune were getting cancer at abnormally high rates — among the cases were a troubling pattern of men with breast cancer — and authorities were looking into whether contaminated drinking water …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Relatives ID 2 victims of explosion at Hawthorne Army depot

Relatives are confirming the names of two of the seven Marines who died in a mortar explosion at an Army ammunition depot in Nevada.

The grandfather of 23-year-old Roger Muchnick of Connecticut says he’s among the dead. He says his grandson had served in Afghanistan.

Also among the victims was 21-year-old Lance Cpl. Josh Taylor of Ohio. His grandfather says he had fulfilled a nearly lifelong dream when he joined the military right after graduating from high school in 2010. Taylor was engaged to be married, with a wedding planned for May.

Marine officers from Camp Lejeune in North Carolina arrived at the Hawthorne Army Depot yesterday to start trying to figure out what caused the shell to explode in its firing tube. The accident prompted the Pentagon to stop the use of the weapons until an investigation can determine whether they are safe.

Residents of the area around the base gathered yesterday to mourn the loss of the seven Marines. Nearly 300 people attended a brief memorial service yesterday at a city park across the street from the base. A giant American flag flew at half staff.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Nevada town mourns Marines who died in explosion

Hundreds of residents in a rural community steeped in military history turned out to mourn the loss of at least seven Marines as investigators arrived at an ammunition depot to try to determine how a mortar shell exploded at the Nevada base and sent shrapnel flying into troops during a training exercise.

Families with children clutching small American flags were among the nearly 300 people who attended the brief memorial service, where a trumpeter played taps at a city park as a giant American flag flew at half-staff across the street from the base at dusk.

Marine officers from Camp Lejeune, N.C., who arrived at the Hawthorne Army Depot on Tuesday could not attend the memorial, as they began the task of figuring out what caused a mortar shell to explode in its firing tube. The accident prompted the Pentagon to immediately halt the use of the weapons until an investigation can determine their safety, officials said.

“All of the officers are tied up with the investigation,” said John Stroud, a Veterans of Foreign Wars official from Fallon who led the memorial service. “For obvious reasons, they’ve got important work to do.”

The explosion Monday night at the sprawling facility during an exercise involved the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force from Camp Lejeune. At least seven men were killed and eight were injured, officials said.

Hawthorne has been an important installation in American military history since World War II, when it was the staging area for ammunition, bombs and rockets. The facility has downsized in recent years but still serves as a munitions repository and disposal site, along with being a training facility for troops as they take advantage of terrain and climate similar to places like Afghanistan. The facility is made up of hundreds of buildings spread over more than 230 square miles, and bunkers dot the sagebrush-covered hills visible from the highway.

Even though the Marines were from the other side of the country, locals still feel a strong sense of pride in the military because the town’s history is so deeply tied to the armed forces.

The town calls itself “America’s Patriotic Home” and is home to the Hawthorne Ordnance Museum, which displays hundreds of shells, munitions, battery guns and weapons dating to World War II. Red, white and blue sculptures made of former shells and bombs are on display in town. Storefronts carry names like Patriot’s Plaza. The sign on a business Thursday carried the message, …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Toxic water contamination at North Carolina military base dates back to 1948, report says

Drinking water contamination at North Carolina‘s sprawling Camp Lejeune military base could date to 1948, five years earlier than researchers had reported previously, a federal report indicates.

The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry plans to release a report Friday on the contamination that has led to a long-running dispute between former residents and the Marines Corps.

TCE, an industrial solvent now known as a human carcinogen, likely first exceeded the maximum contaminant level in August 1953, but evidence shows its presence in the water supply might date as far back as November 1948, the report states. A copy of the report was obtained Thursday by The Associated Press.

“Basically, it’s vindication and confirmation for what I’ve been saying for nearly 16 years,” said retired Marine Master Sgt. Jerry Ensminger, a leader in a protracted fight for information about the contamination. “The truth is finally coming out.”

Ensminger blames the contamination for the leukemia that killed his 9-year-old daughter, Janey, in 1985. Marines and family members have blamed the contamination for many kinds of cancers, including breast cancer in men and women, bladder cancer and liver cancer.

Wells at the base were contaminated by fuel leaks and other sources of pollution before being closed three decades ago. Health officials have said they think as many as 1 million people may have been exposed to tainted water. Tests done in the early 1980s showed that water at a base treatment plant was “highly contaminated” with chlorinated hydrocarbons.

The federal agency had initially set 1953 as the date for the earliest known contamination in a letter written in January to the Department of Veterans Affairs. In that letter, the agency said computer modeling showed drinking water in the residential area called Hadnot Point was unsafe for human consumption as far back as that year.

That was still four years earlier than Marines and their dependents can secure health care and screening for illnesses related to the water. President Barack Obama signed a law last year granting health care and screening to Marines and their dependents on the base between 1957 and 1987.

This week, Sen. Richard Burr filed to extend coverage back to 1953.

The report lays out levels at the Hadnot Point and Holcomb Boulevard water treatment plants on base for various contaminants, including TCE, PCE, vinyl chloride and benzene. All those chemicals are classified as causing or probably causing cancer. It also includes one other chemical that’s not carcinogenic.

For TCE, the maximum level of 783 parts per billion was reached in November 1983 at Hadnot; at Holcomb it was 66 ppb in February 1985, the report says. The highest level allowed in drinking water is 5 ppb, set in 1989, meaning the Hadnot Point level was almost 157 times the highest level allowed now.

The Hadnot plant opened in 1942 and the second plant in the early 70s.

Until the summer of 1972, the Hadnot treatment plant supplied all finished water distributed to bachelor and family housing units, the report says. It noted that the Holcomb Bouelvard plant came online …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

More Marines charged over corpse urination video

Two more Marines face criminal charges over a 2011 YouTube video showing members of a sniper platoon urinating on the corpses of Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.

The Marine Corps announced Friday that Sgt. Robert W. Richards faces charges including dereliction of duty and violating orders. Military prosecutors say he filmed himself and others urinating on the corpses.

Capt. James V. Clement faces charges that include conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman for failing to properly supervise junior Marines and making false statements to investigators.

A hearing for Richards and Clement will be held at Camp Lejeune to determine if there evidence to proceed to a court martial.

Two other Marines pleaded guilty in the case that gained international attention and were sentenced to reductions in rank.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Veteran charged with killing Navy SEAL had been in mental hospital, records show

The Iraq War veteran charged with killing a former Navy SEAL sniper and his friend on a Texas shooting range had been taken to a mental hospital twice in the past five months and told authorities that he was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, police records show.

Eddie Ray Routh, 25, also told his sister and brother-in-law after the shootings that he “traded his soul for a new truck,” according to an Erath County arrest warrant affidavit obtained by WFAA-TV. Police said that Routh was driving the truck of victim and ex-Navy SEAL Chris Kyle at the time of arrest.

Routh is charged with one count of capital murder and two counts of murder in the shooting deaths of Kyle, author of the best-selling book “American Sniper,” and his friend Chad Littlefield at a shooting range Saturday in Glen Rose. He is on suicide watch in the Erath County Jail, where he’s being held on $3 million bond, Sheriff Tommy Bryant said.

Routh, a member of the Marines Corps Reserve, was first taken to a mental hospital on Sept. 2 after he threatened to kill his family and himself, according to police records in Lancaster, where Routh lives. Authorities found Routh walking nearby with no shirt and no shoes, and smelling of alcohol. Routh told authorities he was a Marine veteran who was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

“Eddie stated he was hurting and that his family does not understand what he has been through,” the report said.

Routh’s mother told police that her son had been drinking and became upset when his father said he was going to sell his gun. She said Routh began arguing with them and said he was going to “blow his brains out.”

Police took Routh to Green Oaks Hospital for psychiatric care.

Dallas police records show Routh was taken back to the same mental hospital in mid-January after a woman called police and said she feared for Routh’s safety.

Green Oaks will not release patient information, citing privacy laws. Most people brought by police to the hospital are required to stay at least 48 hours.

In May, Routh’s mother reported a burglary that included nine pill bottles and her son was involved, according to a Lancaster police report. No other details were available.

Authorities say Routh, Kyle and Littlefield arrived at the sprawling Rough Creek Lodge at about 3:15 p.m. Saturday, and a hunting guide called 911 about two hours later after discovering the bodies. Kyle and Littlefield were shot multiple times, and numerous guns were at the scene, according to the affidavit.

Routh drove to his sister’s house, and told her that he killed two people and that he planned to drive to Oklahoma to evade Texas authorities, the affidavit said. Routh’s sister then called police, and he was arrested after a short police pursuit in Lancaster.

Jailers used a stun gun on Routh on Sunday night after he appeared ready to assault them when they entered his cell after he refused to return his food tray, the sheriff said. Then they put Routh in a chair that restrains his arms and legs in his solitary confinement cell, Bryant said.

Bryant said Routh has an attorney but hasn’t met with him at the jail in Stephenville, about 75 miles southwest of Fort Worth.

Attempts by The Associated Press to reach Routh’s mother and sister were unsuccessful Monday.

Sundae Hughes, an aunt of Routh’s, said she watched him grow up but hasn’t seen him since his high school graduation in 2006. Hughes was in disbelief that her nephew could be involved in such an incident.

“He has a kind heart (and was) someone willing to jump in and help, no matter what it was,” she said.

Routh joined the Marines in 2006 and rose to the rank of corporal in 2010. His military specialty was small-arms technician, commonly known as an armorer. He had been stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C., and served in Iraq from 2007-08 and in the Haiti disaster relief mission in 2010.

He is now in the individual ready reserve. He could be called to duty, but it’s uncommon unless he volunteers, 1st Lt. Dominic Pitrone of the Marine Forces Services public affairs office said.

Travis Cox, director of FITCO Cares — the nonprofit that Kyle set up to give in-home fitness equipment to physically and emotionally wounded veterans — said he believes that Kyle and Littlefield were helping Routh work through PTSD.

Cox didn’t know how Routh and Kyle knew each other. He said the shooting range event was not a FITCO session.

Kyle, 38, left the Navy in 2009 after four tours of duty in Iraq, where he earned a reputation as one of the military’s most lethal snipers. “American Sniper” was the No. 3 seller of paperbacks and hardcovers on Amazon as of Monday, and the hardcover was out of stock.

Littlefield, 35, was Kyle’s friend, neighbor and “workout buddy,” and also volunteered his time to work with veterans, Cox said.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News