Tag Archives: Prince William County

Virginia Abortion Bill Blocks Coverage In Health Care Exchange

By The Huffington Post News Editors

The General Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved an amendment by Gov. Bob McDonnell that will bar insurers that participate in the upcoming federal health exchange in Virginia from offering coverage for abortion.

The vote in the Virginia Senate was 20-19, with anti-abortion Democrats Charles J. Colgan of Prince William County and Phillip P. Puckett of Russell County siding with a majority of Republicans.

Sen. John Watkins, R-Powhatan, voted with Democrats against the amendment, while Sen. Frank W. Wagner, R-Virginia Beach, did not vote, but later said he intended to vote for the provision.

Read More…
More on Video

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Huffington Post

Buffalo Wild Wings sorry after gun-fearing waitress refuses to serve cops

By Joshua Rhett Miller

A Buffalo Wild Wings waitress refused to serve eight Virginia police officers because their guns were in full view in what the apologetic restaurant manager now says was a “misunderstanding.”

The plainclothes Prince William County police officers stopped in at the Manassas restaurant on March 20, presumably to dig in to the popular chain’s specialty, but never got the chance. An unidentified server told them they would have to put their service guns out of sight before being served. Scott Lupton, general manager of the store, said he heard about the incident from Daryl LaClair, a local man who contacted restaurant representatives afterward. Lupton denied reports that the county’s Finest were asked to leave.

“She went to a manager,” Lupton told FoxNews.com. “But nobody was asked to leave. It was a misunderstanding and we tried to apologize for it. I’ll keep apologizing for it as much as I can.”

Lupton said he sent an “apologetic” email to LaClair, who could not be reached for comment early Thursday. Lupton also told the police department he was sorry.

“It was an apologetic letter for the misunderstanding,” he said, referring further questions to a company spokesman.

A Prince William County Police Department spokesman confirmed that the apology had been received, but declined further comment.

“It’s not really a department matter,” the spokesman told FoxNews.com.

A spokeswoman for the Minneapolis-based Buffalo Wild Wings told FoxNews.com law enforcement officers are “always welcome” in its 840 locations throughout the U.S. and Canada.

“It is the company’s practice to allow credentialed officers to carry guns,” spokeswoman Angie Andresen told FoxNews.com. “We’re working with team members to make sure that everyone knows what the protocol is. They have apologized.”

It isn’t the first time in recent months that an overzealous waitress has pulled rank on gun-toting cops. A Denny’s in Illinois made headlines in January when several detectives said they were told they couldn’t carry their guns in the restaurant. Belleville Police Department Chief William Clay later banned his officers from the eatery when on-duty or off-duty while still in uniform, despite assurances from restaurant officials that the incident was a misunderstanding.

Clay also issued a press release that identified the managers on duty and blamed the incident on “political stupidness.”

“This was an insult, a slap in the face to those detectives and to all of the men and women who proudly wear the uniform or badge and serve in law enforcement,” Clay wrote.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Male Marine reportedly barricaded after shooting 1 person at Marine base Quantico

Residents of Marine base Quantico in Virginia are being told to stay indoors after an isolated shooting incident.

Authorities tell Fox News a shooting incident has been reported on the base, but provided no other details.

WUSA reports that a person believed to be a male Marine shot another person, and then barricaded himself on the base. He is reportedly being surrounded by Prince William County police and military police. The victim’s condition is unknown.

A post on the base’s Facebook page urged residents to stay inside with their doors locked and follow any instructions from the base intercom system.

Click for more from WUSA.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

2 more life terms for East Coast rapes

A Connecticut man has received two more life sentences for the 2001 kidnapping and rape of a Leesburg woman that was one of many linked by authorities as being committed by the “East Coast Rapist.”

The life terms imposed Friday by a Loudoun County judge come on top of three life terms imposed March 1 for an attack on three teenagers in 2009 in Prince William County.

Police say Aaron Thomas of New Haven, Conn., was responsible for 17 rapes and sex crimes spanning from 1997 to 2009 in Virginia, Maryland, Connecticut and Rhode Island. He was arrested in 2011 after a multi-state law enforcement effort.

After Friday’s hearing, the victim in the Leesburg case said Thomas appeared to be sorry for himself more than for his crimes.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

‘East Coast Rapist’ Aaron Thomas Sentenced To Three Life Terms In Prison For Raping Virginia Trick-Or-Treaters

By The Huffington Post News Editors

MANASSAS, Va. — A Connecticut man accused of being the “East Coast Rapist” in a series of assaults over more than a decade from Rhode Island to Virginia was sentenced to life in prison Friday.

The three life terms, plus 80 years, imposed on Aaron Thomas of New Haven, Conn., followed his guilty plea last year in Manassas for abducting three teenage trick-or-treaters and raping two of them on Halloween 2009 in Prince William County.

Read More…

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Huffington Post