Tag Archives: Bucks County

Pa. man's apparent suicide leaves 3 others dead

Friends and neighbors are saddened by the deaths of four family members who are suspected of falling victim to carbon monoxide fumes after the husband’s apparent suicide.

Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler said Tuesday that a state police investigation indicates that Gary Reitnauer went into a garage on the family’s property in Milford Township in rural Bucks County, about 45 miles northwest of Philadelphia, on Monday and started the car following an argument with his wife.

Heckler says it is believed the wife and the couple’s two daughters tried to rescue him but were overcome by the deadly fumes.

A nephew, Rob Zern, says “it’s a tragedy all around.”

From: http://feeds.foxnews.com/~r/foxnews/national/~3/08PQdVEiI8E/

Carbon monoxide kills 4 in eastern Pennsylvania home

Neighbors and friends say they’re stunned by the apparent carbon-monoxide deaths of a married couple and their two children in an eastern Pennsylvania home where police found a car running in the garage.

It’s not clear whether the car was left running accidentally, or whether it was an intentional act. State police are declining comment on the investigation.

Police were called to the home in Milford Township, Bucks County, at 11:20 p.m. Monday, and found it filled with carbon monoxide.

Police identified the victims as Gary and Michele Reitnauer and their children, Kimberly and Jamie. Friends and neighbors recall the family as happy and outgoing.

Neighbor Maggie Chambers says she believes it was an accident.

From: http://feeds.foxnews.com/~r/foxnews/national/~3/Zc_ulsPMj5k/

Pa. woman sues church, shrine, cites priest abuse

A new priest-abuse lawsuit accuses church and local authorities of letting a Philadelphia-area priest flee to Poland during a stalled investigation.

The lawsuit says the priest assaulted a woman last year while counseling her at a Roman Catholic shrine in Bucks County.

The woman volunteered at Our Lady of Czestochowa (CHEST’-uh-HOV‘-uh) in Doylestown.

The Associated Press is not naming the accused priest because he could not be reached for comment.

He belongs to the Pauline Fathers, a religious order at the shrine. A woman who answered the phone Wednesday said the Pauline supervisors were “in prayer” and not available for comment.

The lawsuit also accuses Bucks County prosecutors and Philadelphia Archdiocese officials of failing to pursue the complaint and letting the priest flee.

Neither office immediately returned phone messages.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Armed man kills self in Pennsylvania sports store bathroom

Police say an armed man barricaded himself inside an eastern Pennsylvania sports store bathroom and killed himself.

Police say the man entered Dick’s Sporting Goods in Fairless Hills on Saturday night and asked to see a shotgun and ammunition. Once the clerk handed those over, the man pulled out a handgun and ordered the worker to undo the shotgun’s gun lock.

Police say the man then barricaded himself inside a bathroom in the Bucks County store. He didn’t take any hostages.

The store and nearby businesses were evacuated during the four-hour-long standoff.

Police say the gunman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. His name wasn’t immediately released. No one else was hurt.

Lt. Henry Ward says the man had been involved in a standoff with Middletown officers in 2002.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Philadelphia girl will be allowed to play football for Catholic team

An 11-year-old girl near Philadelphia won her crusade to play football for a Catholic Youth Organization team, after the city’s archbishop reversed a boys-only rule.

Caroline Pla has played organized football since kindergarten, but was told last fall the no-girls rule would be enforced in her Bucks County league. She petitioned the archdiocese, leading to Thursday’s decision from Archbishop Charles J. Chaput.

“It’s a great step for the future of the church,” said Caroline’s mother, Marycecelia Pla of Doylestown. “Archbishop Chaput is starting with young girls, who are the future of the church, and I thank him for it.”

Chaput called the decision “provisional,” and said it may be reviewed or revised over time. Several other dioceses already allow girls to play.

“I didn’t even really think the rule was going to be changed because of all the things that they said,” said Caroline, who turns 12 on Wednesday. “Today is like double (excitement) for Catholics because now girls can play football and there’s a new pope.”

The Plas had taken their fight to the media, with frequent interviews and TV appearances. But they were not hopeful given their exchanges with the archdiocesan officials, who had expressed concerns about safety and the potential for inappropriate touching. Chaput’s decision came after a panel of parents, coaches, pastors and others reviewed the rule and decided it should remain unchanged.

“Alternate options had merit and may be revisited … to ensure that any CYO sports program fosters an enjoyable and safe atmosphere providing for proper human formation, sportsmanship and Christian maturity,” the archdiocese said in a statement.

Pla had played CYO football for the past two seasons, apparently because the rule was overlooked. She had previously played on a Pop Warner team, and could have returned to that public league next year. However, she wanted to stay with friends and neighbors on her CYO “Romans” team.

Marycecelia Pla had the video camera ready after school Thursday and met Caroline, a twin and one of four children, at the neighborhood walking path. That’s when her daughter knew the decision probably went their way.

“I think a lot of my teammates know because of texting,” Caroline said a short time later. “They’ve been really excited.”

She does not plan to play in high school because she probably won’t be big enough to play tackle at that level. She is currently 5-foot-3 and 110-pounds, and made the all-star team last season.

The Women’s Sports Foundation believes co-ed training and competition fosters mutual respect, and takes boys and girls out of what one former Olympian called “these straightjackets of gender roles.”

“The civil rights laws protecting girls, minorities and the disabled are actually pretty good now,” said Nancy Hogshead-Makar, a 1984 swimming gold medalist who is now a Florida law professor and senior director of advocacy for the foundation. “But what’s missing is people willing to take a stand and insist on equal treatment for all.”

She believes the publicity surrounding Pla’s fight “makes it that much less likely that another school or sports league is going to do the …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Girl fights to play in Catholic football league

The Roman Catholic church in Philadelphia doesn’t need another public relations headache after years of priest-abuse and school-closure headlines, but it’s got one in the form of a pony-tailed 11-year-old athlete.

Sixth-grader Caroline Pla is fighting the archdiocese for the right to keep playing church-sponsored youth football.

The soft-spoken twin has been battling boys on the gridiron since she was 5. She’s played the last two seasons in a Catholic Youth Organization league, where the 5-foot-3, 110-pound offensive tackle and defensive end made the all-star team.

But the archdiocese may put the kibosh on her Catholic youth league career. While at least a few U.S. dioceses let girls play football, and about 1,600 girls play on U.S. high school teams, the Philadelphia league is open only to boys.

“First they said it was a boys sport. Then they said it was a safety issue. Then they said it was inappropriate touching. I think they are just constantly looking for excuses to not change it,” Caroline said Thursday at her home in Buckingham Township, Bucks County.

She first played in a public Pop Warner league, then moved along with her teammates to the Catholic Youth Organization league in fifth grade. After one season without a hitch, she learned last fall that an overlooked boys-only rule would be enforced. The archdiocese, though, agreed to let her finish the season.

Archbishop Charles J. Chaput is now reviewing the ban, with a decision expected next month after a panel of coaches, parents and doctors weigh in.

“Traditionally football is a boys-only sport due to its full contact nature,” the church said in a statement. “Most parents and players have preferred this; some now disagree.”

Caroline sent Chaput an email in January, explaining that her Catholic youth league team had been the best chapter in her burgeoning, three-season sports career.

By then, she and her parents, George and Marycecelia Pla, had taken to the airwaves to lobby for a rule change. An online petition has attracted more than 100,000 signatures, and Caroline recently appeared on Ellen DeGeneris’ show as well as newscasts.

“I’m perplexed that you would contact me last, after publicizing your situation in both the national and regional media,” Chaput wrote in a …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Pennsylvania woman, 89, reportedly killed during police shootout

An elderly Pennsylvania woman was reportedly killed in a shootout between police and a “highly intoxicated” Bucks County man.

The Allentown Morning Call reports that Marie Zienkewicz, 89, was in her apartment Tuesday night when she was hit by crossfire, according to Warminster police.

Zienkewicz lived in the apartment below the man who was shooting at police, authorities said. Police and the Bucks County District Attorney’s Office did not say who shot Zienkewicz. An investigating is still ongoing.

Andrew G. Cairns, 49, began fighting with his girlfriend on Tuesday afternoon, authorities said. Both were “highly intoxicated” by alcohol and drugs, District Attorney David Heckler told the newspaper.

Cairns’ girlfriend later called police and said he had fired two shots from his .44 Magnum handgun in an attempt to kill himself. When officers arrived, Heckler said, Cairns fired at least eight shots at them. The officers returned at least four shots, he said. Police said Zienkewicz was hit during that exchange. She was found dead in her apartment after the gunfight.

Cairns barricaded himself in his apartment until turning himself in around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, police said. His girlfriend escaped from the apartment around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday. Cairns was charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault, among other counts. He is jailed with bail set at $10 million.

Reached by telephone, Zienkewicz’s son-in-law declined to comment.

Click for more from the Allentown Morning Call.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

DNA may determine whether uncle killed Pennsylvania woman in 1977

DNA testing may finally prove whether a family member is guilty of the 1977 murder of a Pennsylvania woman, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

According to the paper, Shaun Ritterson, 20, was found dumped on a wooded Bucks County mountainside, stabbed five times. The corpse had been hacked up, its organs removed.

Shaun Ritterson had disappeared after a night out with friends. Her body was found two days later by a father and son who were driving by Buckingham Mountain.

The victim’s uncle, Harry Ritterson, has been a prime suspect in the case, the Inquirer reports, although the murder remains unsolved.

Harry Ritterson died of cancer last month, and now a sample of his DNA, obtained legally after his death, is being tested to see whether it matches hairs found with the victim’s body.

Such a test was unavailable to investigators in 1977, Assistant District Attorney Matthew Weintraub told the paper.

If the DNA matches, it will add to the evidence, which includes witness statements about Ritterson visiting the site where the body was found while Shaun Ritterson was still missing, and reports he wanted a romantic relationship with his niece, Weintraub said, according to the Inquirer.

“It’s important to follow through and see if he did commit this murder,” Weintraub said. “And if he didn’t, to see who did.”

Click for more from Philly.com

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News