Tag Archives: Saeed Jalili

Negotiations over Iran nuclear program conclude with results unclear

A Western official says the latest round of talks between world powers and Iran over Tehran’s nuclear program have ended.

It was not immediately clear what, if anything, was resolved in during the two days of negotiations that ended Wednesday.

But Iranian state TV reported that technical experts for each side will meet in Istanbul in coming weeks to discuss the latest proposals.

Iran‘s top negotiator, Saeed Jalili, and EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton were expected to talk to reporters later.

The Western official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Negotiations over Iran nuclear program conclude

A Western official says the latest round of talks between world powers and Iran over Tehran’s nuclear program have ended.

It was not immediately clear what, if anything, was resolved in during the two days of negotiations that ended Wednesday.

But Iranian state TV reported that technical experts for each side will meet in Istanbul in coming weeks to discuss the latest proposals.

Iran‘s top negotiator, Saeed Jalili, and EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton were expected to talk to reporters later.

The Western official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

World powers begin fourth round of talks with Iran over nuclear program

World powers began their fourth round of high-level talks with Iranian officials on Tuesday as negotiators from both sides pledged to offer new ways to break a years-long impasse over Tehran’s nuclear program and its feared ability to make atomic weapons in the future.

Few believe the latest attempt to reach compromise will yield any major breakthroughs, and negotiators refused to detail what the new solutions might be. Instead, officials described the latest diplomatic discussions as a way to build confidence with Iran as it steadfastly maintains its right to enrich uranium in the face of harsh international sanctions.

“The offer addresses the international concern on the exclusively peaceful nature of the Iranian nuclear program, but it is also responsive to Iranian ideas,” said Michael Mann, spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who is leading the negotiations. “We’ve put some proposals forward which will hopefully allow Iran to show some flexibility.”

Mahmoud Mohammedi, a member of the Iranian delegation, said Tehran also is prepared to make an offer of it’s own to end the impasse but refused to provide any details.

The Obama administration is pushing for diplomacy to solve the impasse but has not ruled out the possibility of military intervention in Iran to prevent it from acquiring a nuclear weapon. And Israel has threatened it will use all means to stop Iran from being able to build a bomb, potentially as soon as this summer, raising the specter of a possible Mideast war.

A senior U.S. official at the talks said on Monday that some sanctions relief would be part of the offer to Iran but also refused to detail it. The new relief is part of a package that the U.S. official said included “substantive changes — whether you’d call them super-substantial, I’ll leave to history.” The official acknowledged reports earlier this month that sanctions would be eased to allow Iran‘s gold trade to progress, but would neither confirm nor deny they are included in the new relief offer, and spoke only on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive diplomatic talks more candidly.

In a statement before the talks began Tuesday afternoon, Interfax news agency cited Russia‘s envoy as saying easing of sanctions is possible only if Iran can assure the world that its nuclear program is for exclusively peaceful purposes.

“There is no certainty that the Iranian nuclear program lacks a military dimension, although there is also no evidence that there is a military dimension,” Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said.

Officials from both sides have set low expectations for a breakthrough in Almaty — the first time the high-level negotiators have met since last June’s meeting in Moscow that threatened to derail the delicate efforts.

The talks are being held in private at a hotel in Almaty, Kazakhstan’s largest city, and were deemed so sensitive that reporters were not allowed on the premises Tuesday save for a small handful of TV cameras and photographers allowed to watch Ashton, who is leading the negotiations, greet Saeed Jalili, secretary of Iran‘s Supreme …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Iran says nuclear talks with West on for Feb. 26

Iran‘s state TV says the country will hold talks with six world powers in Kazakhstan on Feb. 26 over its controversial nuclear program.

The TV says the timing of the talks was confirmed following a phone conversation Tuesday between the offices of Saeed Jalili, Iran‘s top nuclear negotiator, and EU‘s foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton.

Earlier, it was thought the talks would take place Feb. 25. Ashton’s office represents the six powers — the five permanent U.N. Security Council members plus Germany.

The talks have stalled since May.

The West demands Tehran stop enriching uranium to 20 percent, which is close to the level used to arm nuclear warheads.

Iran insists it’s enriching only to make reactor fuel and for scientific and medical programs, and not for a nuclear weapon.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Syrian opposition chief renews offer of talks with Assad

The leader of Syria‘s main opposition group called Monday on President Bashar Assad to respond to his overture for a dialogue to save the country from complete destruction.

Mouaz al-Khatib, the head of the Syrian National Coalition, said he is extending his hand “to facilitate the peaceful departure” of the regime and called on Assad to begin releasing tens of thousands of political prisoners as a precondition.

Al-Khatib said last week he is willing to hold talks with the regime in Egypt, Tunisia or Turkey if that would help end the bloodshed. His offer marked a departure from the mainstream opposition’s narrative insisting that Assad step down before any talks.

He renewed his offer Monday in an interview with Qatari-based Al-Jazeera television and said he was placing the ball in Assad’s court.

“We say to the Syrian leadership, let us search for an exit for the crisis before Syria gets destroyed even more,” he said.

“The regime has to take a clear stance and we will extend our hand for the sake of our people and in order to facilitate the peaceful departure of the regime,” he added.

Al-Khatib met separately with Russian, U.S. and Iranian officials on the sidelines of a conference on security in Munich over the weekend.

There has been no comment from Syrian officials on al-Khatib’s initiative last week or his latest comments.

A senior Iranian official visiting Damascus appeared to voice support for al-Khatib’s call for dialogue, without naming him.

“We welcome any initiative that leads to dialogue,” said Saeed Jalili, the head of Iran’s National Security Council. He said the talks should be held in Damascus.

Jalili also commented on an airstrike on Syria last week, saying Israel will regret conducting it. He urged the entire Muslim world to be ready to defend the Syrian people.

“Just as it regretted its aggressions after the 33-day, 22-day and eight-day wars, today the Zionist entity will regret the aggression it launched against Syria,” Jalili told a news conference in Damascus. He was referring to past wars between Israel and Hezbollah or the Palestinian Hamas rulers of Gaza.

“The Islamic world will not allow aggression against Syria,” he said. “Syria stands on the front line of the Islamic world against the Zionist regime. … The Islamic world must react appropriately to the Israeli aggression.”

Iran is Syria‘s closest regional ally and Jalili used his 3-day visit to pledge Tehran’s continued support for the President Bashar Assad‘s regime

Israel has all but confirmed it was behind the airstrike near Damascus last week. U.S. officials said the Israelis struck a military research center and a convoy next to it carrying anti-aircraft weapons destined for the Islamic militant group Hezbollah in neighboring Lebanon.

Syria said has vowed to retaliate.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Iran Says Israel Will Regret Syria Airstrike

By Breaking News

Iran flag SC  Iran says Israel will regret Syria airstrike

DAMASCUS, Syria (OfficialWire) — A top Iranian official visiting Damascus said Monday that Israel will regret its “latest aggression” on Syria and urged the entire Muslim world to be ready to defend the Syrian people.

Israel has all but confirmed it was behind the airstrike near Damascus last week. U.S. officials said the Israelis struck a military research center and a convoy next to it carrying anti-aircraft weapons destined for the Islamic militant group Hezbollah in neighboring Lebanon.

“Just as it regretted its aggressions after the 33-day, 22-day and eight-day wars, today the Zionist entity will regret the aggression it launched against Syria,” Saeed Jalili, the head of Iran’s National Security Council, told a news conference in Damascus. He was referring to past wars between Israel and Hezbollah or the Palestinian Hamas rulers of Gaza.

Syria said has vowed to retaliate for the airstrike.

Iran is Syria’s closest regional ally and Jalili used his 3-day visit to pledge Tehran’s continued support for the President Bashar Assad’s regime.

Read More at OfficialWire . By Albert Aji.

Photo Credit: erjkprunczyk (Creative Commons)

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Western Journalism

Iranian official says Israel will regret Syria strike

A top Iranian official visiting Damascus says Israel will regret its “latest aggression” on Syria.

Saeed Jalili, the head of Iran’s National Security Council, also says the Islamic world will not allow any attack against Syria.

Israeli warplanes struck a site near the Syrian capital, Damascus, last week, targeting what U.S. officials said were ground-to-air missiles apparently heading for Lebanon‘s militant Hezbollah group.

Syria has vowed retaliation but has so far refrained from any response. Iran is Syria‘s closest regional ally.

Jalili, who is on a three-day visit to Syria, did not explain in his comments Tuesday how Israel would regret the strike.

He only said Israel “will be defeated” as it allegedly was during the 2006 month-long war with Hezbollah and recently, by Gaza’s Hamas rulers.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Iranian official: Israel will regret Syria strike

A top Iranian official visiting Damascus says Israel will regret its “latest aggression” on Syria.

Saeed Jalili, the head of Iran’s National Security Council, also says the Islamic world will not allow any attack against Syria.

Israeli warplanes struck a site near the Syrian capital, Damascus, last week, targeting what U.S. officials said were ground-to-air missiles apparently heading for Lebanon‘s militant Hezbollah group.

Syria has vowed retaliation but has so far refrained from any response. Iran is Syria‘s closest regional ally.

Jalili, who is on a three-day visit to Syria, did not explain in his comments Tuesday how Israel would regret the strike.

He only said Israel “will be defeated” as it allegedly was during the 2006 month-long war with Hezbollah and recently, by Gaza’s Hamas rulers.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News