Tag Archives: Officer Gilberto Valle

Jury convicts NYC police officer of plot to kidnap and eat women

A New York City police officer was convicted Tuesday of charges he plotted to kidnap and cook women to dine on their “girl meat” — a macabre case that subjected jurors to often gory evidence and asked them to separate fantasy from reality.

The jury reached the verdict in federal court at the kidnapping conspiracy trial of Officer Gilberto Valle, a 28-year-old father with an admitted fetish for talking on the Internet about cannibalism.

Valle’s lawyers at what the tabloids dubbed the “Cannibal Cop” trial chose not to hide what they called his “weird proclivities.” But they insisted that he was just fantasizing and noted that none of the women were ever harmed.

Prosecutors countered that an analysis of Valle’s computer found he was taking concrete steps to abduct his wife and at least five other women he knew. They said he looked up potential targets on a restricted law enforcement database, searched the Internet for how to knock someone out with chloroform, and showed up on the block of one woman after agreeing to kidnap her for $5,000 for a New Jersey man, now awaiting trial.

Valle “left the world of fantasy and entered the world of reality,” prosecutor Hadassa Waxman said during closing arguments. She said the officer’s arrest near Halloween last year interrupted a ghoulish plan to “kidnap, torture, rape and commit other horrific acts on young women.”

The jury heard Valle’s potential victims testify that they were trading innocent-sounding emails and texts with him, unaware he was supposedly scheming to make meals out of them. The government also sought to drive home the point that Valle was more of a threat because he was a police officer.

The trial opened a window on strange online underworld where people share sick and twisted fantasies of torture, murder, dismemberment and cannibalism.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Jury weighs fate of NYPD officer in alleged cannibal plot

The fate of a suspended New York City police officer accused of plotting to kill and cannibalize women he knew is in the hands of jurors after his defense lawyer told them in closing arguments that his elaborate plans were fantasy role-play and a prosecutor said they were “no joke.”

The jury resumed deliberations Friday after doing so for a little more than an hour the night before in the kidnapping conspiracy case brought against 28-year-old Officer Gilberto Valle. Valle is also charged with using a national database to learn personal information about potential targets. If convicted, he could face life in prison.

Before jurors received the case, defense attorney Julia Gatto said Valle’s chats on fetish websites about abducting, torturing and eating at least six women, including his wife, “are no more real than an alien invasion.”

But Assistant U.S. Attorney Hadassa Waxman said evidence showed Valle “left the world of fantasy and entered the world of reality.” The officer’s actions were “no joke,” she added. “It was not just sick entertainment.”

In a rebuttal argument given before the jury was to get the case, prosecutor Randall Jackson called Valle “a sexually sadistic individual.”

Jackson also said the alarming material uncovered by an analysis of Valle’s computers was like other investigations in which people are found “engaging in fantastical discussions about seeing planes exploding” — a comparison that prompted the defense to ask for a mistrial, arguing he was trying to frighten the jury with veiled reference to the Sept. 11 terrorist attack just blocks from the Manhattan courthouse. The judge disagreed and denied the motion.

The arguments capped a two-week trial in federal court. During the presentation of evidence, jurors sometimes appeared squeamish when shown sadistic images from Internet sites visited by Valle. The officer openly wept over his wife’s testimony describing how she uncovered his late-night computer activity, fled their home with their infant child and contacted the FBI.

Valle’s arrest last year interrupted a ghoulish plan to “kidnap, torture, rape and commit other horrific acts on young women,” Waxman said Thursday.

The prosecutor argued that the officer took concrete steps to further the plot — looking up potential targets on a restricted law enforcement database, searching the Internet for how to knock someone out with chloroform, and showing up on the block of one woman after agreeing to kidnap her for $5,000.

At trial, the jury heard the testimony of women who knew Valle and were trading innocent-sounding emails and texts with him at the same time prosecutors say he was scheming to make meals out of them. The government also sought to drive home the point that Valle was more of a threat because he was a police officer.

“Women who wanted no part of this were put in grave danger by that man, Gilberto Valle,” Waxman said as she pointed at him.

The defense claims Valle is being prosecuted for indulging in offensive-but-harmless fantasies fed by visits to websites meant solely for role play.

Gatto started her closing by reading from a 2012 Valle email saying, …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Prosecutor says NY police officer accused in cannibal plot was ready to act

The FBI had to grab a New York City police officer last year before he could go forward with a macabre scheme to abduct and cannibalize women, a prosecutor said Thursday in closing arguments at the officer’s kidnapping conspiracy trial.

Officer Gilberto Valle was in the midst of a plot to “kidnap, torture, rape and commit other horrific acts” on at least six women he knew, including his wife, Assistant U.S. Attorney Hadassa Waxman told a Manhattan jury.

“The law does not require that we wait until he carries out his crime,” she said.

Lawyers for Valle say he’s being prosecuted for indulging in offensive-but-legal fantasies fed by his visits to fetish websites meant solely for role-play.

Prosecutors counter that the 28-year-old officer took concrete steps to abduct his potential targets, including looking them up on a restricted law enforcement database.

“He left the world of fantasy and entered the world of reality,” Waxman said. “The evidence proves that he was serious.”

The defense was to give its closing argument later Thursday. Deliberations were expected to begin on Friday.

During the two-week trial, the government has tried to prove Valle was serious about the plans by showing communications where he haggled with a Trenton, N.J., man, Michael Vanhise, over whether it would cost $4,000 or $5,000 to abduct a Manhattan teacher who would be delivered to Vanhise’s home in a suitcase for him to rape and murder. Vanhise, who has pleaded not guilty to a conspiracy charge, is behind bars awaiting trial.

Lawyers for the baby-faced Valle, who cried when his wife testified against him, say he made up elaborate plans but did nothing to make any of them happen. The lawyers presented evidence from witnesses that Valle did not have any of the tools of the torture he described in instant chats and emails, and did not own an upstate home where he had suggested he could cook a victim.

On two occasions, jurors seemed extra fidgety when they were shown sadistic pornography including what appeared to be a staged video of a chained, naked woman screaming as the flame of a torch was put beneath her crotch.

The trial also left Valle emotional at times, including after the jury left the courtroom following the conclusion of the presentation of evidence on Tuesday.

“I think it’s just the knowledge that we’re finally coming to a conclusion and his fate is in the jury’s hands,” defense attorney Robert Baum said.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

New York judge bars death photos at alleged cannibal cop trial

A judge has ruled that some gruesome photographs of tortured, dead and dismembered women cannot be shown at the trial of a New York police officer accused of a cannibalism plot.

The judge ruled Monday at the start of the second week of trial for Officer Gilberto Valle. He is accused of conspiring with others to kill and eat women that he knew, including his wife.

The 28-year-old officer has insisted it was all fantasy play on the Internet. But prosecutors last week at the Manhattan trial unveiled a slew of Internet communications in which Valle spoke of how he would kidnap, kill and eat various women he knew.

The prosecution is expected to complete its case Monday.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Agent: Cop said cannibalism interest hurt his life

The trial of a New York police officer accused of conspiring to kill and eat his wife and other women he knew will enter its second week with prosecutors set to conclude presenting evidence.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Randall Jackson told a judge Friday that the government may rest as early as lunchtime on Monday with its case against Officer Gilberto Valle.

An FBI agent told the jury in federal court in Manhattan Friday that Valle said his online chats about cannibalism were ruining his personal life and his relationship with his wife. The agent quoted Valle as saying after his arrest in October that he would not have carried out any plots to kidnap, kill and eat women.

If convicted of conspiracy, Valle could be sentenced to life in prison.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

NY police officer accused in cannibal plot allegedly said interest hurt his life

A New York City police officer told investigators after his arrest that his fascination with cannibalism set him on a downward spiral that was wrecking his personal life, an FBI agent testified Friday.

Agent Anthony Foto told jurors at the trial of Officer Gilberto Valle on a kidnapping conspiracy charge that Valle claimed after his October arrest that he did not really enjoy talking to people about kidnapping, killing and eating women.

“He claimed he would not have gone through with it. He claimed he did not enjoy it and he did not know why he was doing it,” the agent said in federal court in Manhattan.

Foto told jurors that Valle said his chats and emails with others on the Internet about cannibalism and the torture and killing of women was starting to destroy his personal life, leaving him exhausted and uninterested in sex with his wife.

The agent said that when he asked Valle why he thought he was being arrested, the officer said he believed it was for conspiracy to commit murder or attempted murder.

And when Valle was told to stay calm and everything will be fine, Valle responded: “I don’t think so,” the agent said.

As Valle was interviewed at FBI headquarters, he admitted that he had spoken to others on the Internet about kidnapping, killing and cannibalism, and he agreed to help the FBI distinguish between which people on the Internet were real threats and which were not.

The testimony came as the government winds down its case against the 28-year-old officer. Valle contends it was all fantasy and he intended no harm.

On cross-examination, defense attorney Robert Baum drew the jury’s attention to moments when the FBI tricked his client, including when the FBI told him he been under investigation for a year.

“That was a lie, right? Baum asked.

“Of course,” Foto responded, acknowledging that Valle had been under investigation for only a few weeks. He said the ruse was investigative technique aimed at getting the defendant to speak.

The testimony came on a day when the government was seeking to show jurors Internet images of dead and dismembered people.

Defense lawyers are opposing the presentation of as many as 34 ghastly exhibits of images the government says it took from Valle’s computer.

U.S. District Judge Paul Gardephe has not yet decided if jurors will see the pictures that defense lawyers say may have been saved on the officer’s computer automatically without him ever seeing them when he went on certain websites.

The government says the exhibits include a picture of a dead body with feet unattached, an image Valle’s wife testified she saw when she went to one of his favorite sites and discovered why he stayed up late online.

Valle has been held without bail since his October arrest. Throughout the trial, which began Monday, Valle’s lawyers have attacked government evidence as nothing more than the reflection of a man engaging in extreme sexual fantasies with like-minded people around the world. The government has conceded that Valle never met the purported Internet co-conspirators and no …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Death photos next at NYPD officer's cannibalism trial

The dark twists at the cannibalism trial of a New York police officer will continue if prosecutors succeed in showing jurors pictures of dead and dismembered people as they wrap up their case.

Defense lawyers are opposing the presentation Friday of as many as 34 ghastly exhibits of images the government says it took from Officer Gilberto Valle‘s computer.

U.S. District Judge Paul Gardephe said he’ll decide when the time comes whether jurors will see pictures of dead and mutilated women that defense lawyers say may have been saved on the 28-year-old officer’s computer automatically without him ever seeing them when he went on certain web sites.

The government says the exhibits include a picture of a dead body whose feet were not attached that Valle’s wife testified she saw when she went to one of his favorite Internet sites as she discovered why he stayed up late at night on the Internet.

The photographs were discussed out of the presence of jurors. They did hear an FBI agent testify that Valle’s New York Police Department supervisor was among women the officer considered a potential target for a kidnap and torture.

Developments Thursday were not limited to the courtroom. It was reported that a man considered to be one of Valle’s co-conspirators, identified in the U.S. case by the online name Moody Blues, had been detained but released in a separate case in Britain.

In Manhattan federal court, FBI agent Corey Walsh told jurors that a search of Valle’s computer turned up a file with multiple photos of a woman the agent identified as an NYPD officer who supervised Valle. The government had previously introduced a transcript of a February 2012 email exchange in which Valle offered a co-conspirator a menu of women he could abduct for rape and torture.

“The second girl listed is a cop — Evelyn, 33 years old,” Valle wrote.

“No I want a reg girl,” the man responded.

The revelation came as the defense sought to discredit allegations that Valle conspired with Internet friends to kidnap, kill and eat women, pressing Walsh on why some communications were deemed proof of a crime while others were deemed fantasies.

Defense attorney Robert Baum directed Walsh to obvious falsehoods in communications that the government has used as evidence Valle was a threat. In one, Moody Blues insisted he and Valle would need a secluded place to cook a woman alive.

“I have a place on the mountains,” Valle wrote. “Nobody’s around for three quarters of a mile.”

Asked if that was true, Walsh testified that authorities “are not aware of a place he had in the mountains.”

Valle has been held without bail since October, when he was arrested on charges of conspiring to kidnap women in a cannibalism plot born on the Internet. Throughout the trial, which began Monday, Valle’s lawyers have attacked government evidence as nothing more than the reflection of a man engaging in extreme sexual fantasies with like-minded people around the world. The government has conceded that Valle never met the purported Internet co-conspirators and no women …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Death photos next at officer's cannibalism trial

Prosecutors at the cannibalism trial of a New York police officer want to show jurors pictures of dead and dismembered people as they wrap up their case, but defense lawyers are opposed.

The presentation Friday would include as many as 34 ghastly exhibits of images the government says it took from Officer Gilberto Valle‘s computer.

U.S. District Judge Paul Gardephe said he’ll decide when the time comes whether jurors will see pictures of dead and mutilated women that defense lawyers say may have been saved on the 28-year-old officer’s computer automatically without him ever seeing them when he went on certain web sites.

Valle has been held without bail since October when he was arrested on charges of conspiring to kidnap women in a cannibalism plot born on the Internet.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

New Jersey man in cannibalism case wanted FBI help, lawyer says

The lawyer for a New Jersey man accused of conspiring with a New York City police officer to rape and murder a Manhattan woman said Thursday he was pleased when the FBI showed up on his doorstep.

“He was happy,” attorney Alice Fontier said of her 22-year-old client, Michael Vanhise. “He was ready and willing to cooperate and help the FBI.”

Fontier said the Trenton, N.J., auto mechanic had been trying for some time to ascertain who on a fetish website was serious about carrying out acts that were supposed to remain fantasies and had gone to police on at least four occasions to report people, but was repeatedly sent him away.

After the FBI showed up in October, she said, Vanhise hoped to “get these people apprehended” and cooperated for several months, even sending messages to others on the agency’s behalf before he was arrested last week.

The lawyer made the comments before U.S. District Judge William H. Pauley III rejected bail for Vanhise, saying he should remain incarcerated until trial on a kidnapping conspiracy charge that could result in a life prison sentence if he is convicted.

Pauley said the case contained “shocking, depraved and violent” acts that prosecutors say were not just deviant fantasies, as defense lawyers have argued.

He said the website where the defendants had conversed was “a website catering to very sick individuals.”

Pauley spoke after prosecutors said that Vanhise had shared information and photographs with others about young nieces and had engaged in a conversation about sexually abusing a newborn.

With his ruling, Pauley became the eighth judge to reject bail for Vanhise and police Officer Gilberto Valle. The officer was arrested in October and is scheduled to go on trial next month.

Prosecutors say Vanhise arranged to pay Valle $5,000 to kidnap a Manhattan woman who he could then rape and kill in New Jersey. Authorities have said Vanhise confessed to FBI agents that he meant to carry out the plot.

The 28-year-old Valle has been charged with planning to abduct, rape, murder and eat women. No women were injured in either case.

Lawyers for both men say they were part of an online sexual fetish network where conversations describe gruesome acts that were meant only as fantasies, no matter how real the online chats made them sound.

Fontier said she had signed up for a website as part of her work on the case and within 24 hours had received messages from others among the 37,000 members who wanted to “hang me, rape me, torture me and eat me.”

Outside court, she said the “case will test the boundaries of what the First Amendment means.”

“It’s speech that is frightening and speech that people hate but it’s speech,” Fontier said.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News