Tag Archives: Michael Vanhise

Prosecutor says NY police officer accused in cannibal plot was ready to act

The FBI had to grab a New York City police officer last year before he could go forward with a macabre scheme to abduct and cannibalize women, a prosecutor said Thursday in closing arguments at the officer’s kidnapping conspiracy trial.

Officer Gilberto Valle was in the midst of a plot to “kidnap, torture, rape and commit other horrific acts” on at least six women he knew, including his wife, Assistant U.S. Attorney Hadassa Waxman told a Manhattan jury.

“The law does not require that we wait until he carries out his crime,” she said.

Lawyers for Valle say he’s being prosecuted for indulging in offensive-but-legal fantasies fed by his visits to fetish websites meant solely for role-play.

Prosecutors counter that the 28-year-old officer took concrete steps to abduct his potential targets, including looking them up on a restricted law enforcement database.

“He left the world of fantasy and entered the world of reality,” Waxman said. “The evidence proves that he was serious.”

The defense was to give its closing argument later Thursday. Deliberations were expected to begin on Friday.

During the two-week trial, the government has tried to prove Valle was serious about the plans by showing communications where he haggled with a Trenton, N.J., man, Michael Vanhise, over whether it would cost $4,000 or $5,000 to abduct a Manhattan teacher who would be delivered to Vanhise’s home in a suitcase for him to rape and murder. Vanhise, who has pleaded not guilty to a conspiracy charge, is behind bars awaiting trial.

Lawyers for the baby-faced Valle, who cried when his wife testified against him, say he made up elaborate plans but did nothing to make any of them happen. The lawyers presented evidence from witnesses that Valle did not have any of the tools of the torture he described in instant chats and emails, and did not own an upstate home where he had suggested he could cook a victim.

On two occasions, jurors seemed extra fidgety when they were shown sadistic pornography including what appeared to be a staged video of a chained, naked woman screaming as the flame of a torch was put beneath her crotch.

The trial also left Valle emotional at times, including after the jury left the courtroom following the conclusion of the presentation of evidence on Tuesday.

“I think it’s just the knowledge that we’re finally coming to a conclusion and his fate is in the jury’s hands,” defense attorney Robert Baum said.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

New Jersey man in cannibalism case wanted FBI help, lawyer says

The lawyer for a New Jersey man accused of conspiring with a New York City police officer to rape and murder a Manhattan woman said Thursday he was pleased when the FBI showed up on his doorstep.

“He was happy,” attorney Alice Fontier said of her 22-year-old client, Michael Vanhise. “He was ready and willing to cooperate and help the FBI.”

Fontier said the Trenton, N.J., auto mechanic had been trying for some time to ascertain who on a fetish website was serious about carrying out acts that were supposed to remain fantasies and had gone to police on at least four occasions to report people, but was repeatedly sent him away.

After the FBI showed up in October, she said, Vanhise hoped to “get these people apprehended” and cooperated for several months, even sending messages to others on the agency’s behalf before he was arrested last week.

The lawyer made the comments before U.S. District Judge William H. Pauley III rejected bail for Vanhise, saying he should remain incarcerated until trial on a kidnapping conspiracy charge that could result in a life prison sentence if he is convicted.

Pauley said the case contained “shocking, depraved and violent” acts that prosecutors say were not just deviant fantasies, as defense lawyers have argued.

He said the website where the defendants had conversed was “a website catering to very sick individuals.”

Pauley spoke after prosecutors said that Vanhise had shared information and photographs with others about young nieces and had engaged in a conversation about sexually abusing a newborn.

With his ruling, Pauley became the eighth judge to reject bail for Vanhise and police Officer Gilberto Valle. The officer was arrested in October and is scheduled to go on trial next month.

Prosecutors say Vanhise arranged to pay Valle $5,000 to kidnap a Manhattan woman who he could then rape and kill in New Jersey. Authorities have said Vanhise confessed to FBI agents that he meant to carry out the plot.

The 28-year-old Valle has been charged with planning to abduct, rape, murder and eat women. No women were injured in either case.

Lawyers for both men say they were part of an online sexual fetish network where conversations describe gruesome acts that were meant only as fantasies, no matter how real the online chats made them sound.

Fontier said she had signed up for a website as part of her work on the case and within 24 hours had received messages from others among the 37,000 members who wanted to “hang me, rape me, torture me and eat me.”

Outside court, she said the “case will test the boundaries of what the First Amendment means.”

“It’s speech that is frightening and speech that people hate but it’s speech,” Fontier said.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News