Tag Archives: Judicial District

Man shot dead at home of Colo. prosecutor, deputy

Authorities in Colorado say a Michigan man who died after an altercation outside the home of a sheriff’s deputy and a prosecutor was shot multiple times.

Grand County coroner’s officials said Wednesday that 32-year-old Joshua Lee Stevens, of Coral, Mich., died of gunshot wounds to the torso.

Authorities say a deputy district attorney for Colorado’s 14th Judicial District called 911 late Monday to report a stranger behaving erratically outside her home. Shots were fired after the person tried to force his way in.

The prosecutor and her husband, who is a sheriff’s deputy, had minor injuries.

Stevens was believed to have been in town about a week, looking for work.

Authorities say there are no obvious ties to other recent shootings, including the death of Colorado’s prisons chief.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Suspected intruder killed outside Colorado prosecutor's home

A Michigan man was fatally shot during an alteration outside the home of a Colorado prosecutor and sheriff’s deputy.

KDVR.com reported that a deputy district attorney for Colorado’s 14th Judicial District called 911 late Monday to report a stranger at her front door behaving erratically and causing a disturbance.

“The intruder pushed his way into the house and an altercation ensued. It is believed that shots were fired during this altercation outside the couple’s residence,” said a statement obtained by the station from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

Coroner’s officials said Tuesday that 32-year-old Joshua Lee Stevens of Coral, Mich., died in the shooting. He was believed to have been in town for about a week, looking for work.

The prosecutor and her husband, who is a Grand County sheriff’s deputy, had minor injuries.

Authorities say there are no obvious ties to other recent shootings, including that of Colorado prisons chief Tom Clements.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Click here for more fron KDVR.com.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Colorado suspect slipped ankle bracelet; took 5 days for parole officials to realize

Parole officials did not realize that a white supremacist gang member had slipped his ankle bracelet and fled custody until five days after the system first flagged him as being delinquent, according to records released Tuesday.

They sent a warrant out for his arrest the next day, one day before he was killed in a shootout with Texas authorities and a day after police now say they think he was involved in the slaying of Colorado prisons chief Tom Clements.

“We have to do better in the future,” said Tim Hand, director of the Department of Correction’s parole division.

Evan Spencer Ebel had been a model parolee until his electronic monitoring bracelet stopped working March 14. Before that, he called in daily, even once calling in alarm because no one had requested his weekly urinalysis test to show he hadn’t been using drugs.

His father provided him housing and a job at his law firm, but on the afternoon of March 14, a “tamper alert” automatically went to a prison computer system showing the bracelet had stopped working.

Two days later, corrections officials called Ebel and told him to come in to repair the bracelet. He did not show up.

It was not until March 18 that parole officers spoke to Ebel’s father, who told them he feared his son had fled and gave them permission to search his apartment. The next day, two parole officers saw Ebel had taken a large amount of clothing and apparently fled.

That night, Clements was shot and killed as he answered the front door at his house. The next morning, parole officers obtained a warrant for Ebel’s arrest for parole violations and sent it to Colorado State Patrol. They had no indication he was involved in the Clements’ killing until the shootout March 21.

Ebel is also suspected of killing a Denver pizza delivery man and father of three on March 17.

It’s the latest break that Ebel seems to have caught as he spent nearly a decade in Colorado’s criminal justice system. Court officials on Monday vowed to release procedures that led to a clerical error that allowed Ebel to leave prison four years early.

Judicial officials acknowledged Monday that Ebel’s previous felony conviction was inaccurately recorded and his release in January was an error.

In 2008, Ebel pleaded guilty in rural Fremont County to assaulting a prison officer. In the plea deal, Ebel was to be sentenced to up to four additional years in prison, to be served after he completed the eight-year sentence that put him behind bars in 2005, according to a statement from Colorado’s 11th Judicial District.

However, the judge didn’t say the sentence was meant to be “consecutive,” or in addition to, Ebel’s current one. So the court clerk recorded it as one to be served “concurrently,” or at the same time. That’s the information that went to the state prisons, the statement said.

So on Jan. 28, prisons officials saw that Ebel had finished his court-ordered sentence and released him. They said they had no way of knowing the …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Ex-inmate suspected of killing Colorado prisons chief freed 4 years too soon

Because of a paperwork error, the suspect in last month’s killing of Colorado’s corrections chief was freed from prison in January — four years earlier than authorities intended.

Judicial officials acknowledged Monday that Evan Spencer Ebel’s previous felony conviction had been inaccurately recorded and his release was a mistake.

In 2008, Ebel pleaded guilty in rural Fremont County to assaulting a prison officer. In the plea deal, Ebel was to be sentenced to up to four additional years in prison, to be served after he completed the eight-year sentence that put him behind bars in 2005, according to a statement from Colorado’s 11th Judicial District.

However, the judge did not say the sentence was meant to be “consecutive,” or in addition to, Ebel’s current one. So the court clerk recorded it as one to be served “concurrently,” or at the same time. That’s the information that went to the state prisons, the statement said.

So on Jan. 28, prisons officials saw that Ebel had finished his court-ordered sentence and released him. They said they had no way of knowing the plea deal was intended to keep Ebel behind bars for years longer.

Two months later, Ebel was dead after a shootout with authorities in Texas. The gun he used in the March 21 gunbattle was the same one used to shoot and kill prisons chief Tom Clements two days earlier. Police believe Ebel also was involved in the death of a Domino’s Pizza delivery man, Nathan Leon, in Denver.

“The court regrets this oversight and extends condolences to the families of Mr. Nathan Leon and Mr. Tom Clements,” said a statement signed by Charles Barton, chief judge of the 11th Judicial District, and court administrator Walter Blair.

Leon’s father-in-law told AP he had no immediate comment

“There should be more than just a two-sentence apology,” Leon’s sister-in-law Amber Lane told The Denver Post. “I thank somebody for taking accountability for the error, however it doesn’t bring Nate back.”

The court officials vowed to review their procedures to ensure the error isn’t repeated.

“The Colorado Department of Corrections values its long-standing partnership with the 11th Judicial District and the district attorney’s office to maintain order at the prisons in Canon City. We commend both the 11th Judicial District and the DOC for reviewing their own internal processes and procedures,” Gov. John Hickenlooper’s spokeswoman Megan Castle said in a written statement.

The attack that led to the plea deal took place in 2006. According to prison and court records, Ebel slipped out of his handcuffs while being transferred from a cell and punched a prison officer in the face. He bloodied the officer’s nose and finger, and threatened to kill the officer’s family.

“If Mr. Ebel was prosecuted for an assault on an officer, it had to be pretty severe, because in the course of day-to-day work, correctional officers are regularly assaulted or threatened,” said Pueblo County Commissioner Buffie McFadyen, who is executive director of the correctional officer group Corrections U.S.A.

“It sounds like a horrific oversight,” she said of the mistake that led to …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News