Tag Archives: Connecticut Post

Former Skakel attorney defends handling of trial

The attorney who represented Michael Skakel during his murder trial defended his handling of the case a day after the Kennedy cousin blasted his work.

Attorney Michael Sherman testified Friday in a Connecticut court, where Skakel is challenging his 2002 conviction on the grounds that he was deprived of his constitutional right to effective legal representation.

Hearst Connecticut Newspapers (http://bit.ly/Y3apei) reported that Sherman defended his work for Skakel but also testified that he still believes his former client is innocent. Testimony ended Friday; a ruling is not expected for months.

Skakel, the 52-year-old nephew of Robert F. Kennedy’s widow, Ethel Kennedy, is serving 20 years to life for the 1975 golf club bludgeoning of Martha Moxley when they were 15-year-old neighbors in Greenwich.

___

Information from: Connecticut Post, http://www.connpost.com

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Soldier serving in Afghanistan watches daughter's birth on Skype

National Guardsman Matthew Crudo thought he would be allowed to return home to Connecticut for the birth of his and his wife’s first child when he deployed to Afghanistan in November, but later found out he could only leave for emergencies.

That didn’t stop Crudo from seeing his daughter being born at Bridgeport Hospital this week. The 28-year-old soldier from Stratford and his wife, Sarah, were able to be together via Skype, the live video computer chat service.

Sarah Crudo told the Connecticut Post that her husband saw much of her 12 hours of labor and the birth of Nora Monday night. She weighed in at 6 pounds and 14 ounces.

Sarah Crudo says it was great to have her husband with her, even if it was by computer.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

NAACP leaders reportedly call for arrest of Connecticut cops in beating video

NAACP leaders are reportedly calling for the arrest and termination of three Connecticut police officers who were caught viciously beating a man on a YouTube video.

The Connecticut Post reports that attorneys for the apparent victim, Orlando Lopez-Soto, 27, have filed a $1 million lawsuit in connection to the video, which was recorded on May 20, 2011 in Bridgeport’s Beardsley Park.

“We want the immediate arrests of the three men who conducted this massive and brutal beating of a downed man,” said Scot X. Esdaile, statewide head of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. “We are calling upon the FBI, the State Police and the Bridgeport police to effectuate this arrest immediately and the city of Bridgeport to terminate these officers.”

On the video, Esdaile said he sees “a black man, a white man and a Hispanic man” repeatedly stomp and kick Lopez-Soto, who offers no resistance.

“These three men should be treated like common thugs because that’s what they are: Thugs,” Esdaile said.

Two of the three cops have previously been accused in lawsuits and complaints of beating people in custody, but have no record of being disciplined by the Bridgeport Police Department, the newspaper reports.

The video, which has been viewed at least 80,000 times, depicts Lopez-Soto running from the right side of the frame when a stun gun can be heard. Lopez-Soto then falls face down in the grass as officers Joseph Lawlor and Elson Morales run up to him and begin kicking and stomping on him.

Officer Clive Higgins then arrives in his patrol car and also begins kicking Lopez-Soto.

Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch said he was “extremely concerned” by the video and has ordered an investigation by the Office of Internal Affairs.

The three officers, all 10-year veterans, have been placed on paid administrative duty pending the investigation.

Click for more from the Connecticut Post.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Who Is The Gun Lobby? Me For Sure; Maybe You Too?

By Larry Bell, Contributor Pressing for new gun control laws in a January 16th article he released in the Connecticut Post, President Obama knew exactly where to place much of the blame for the Newton, Connecticut massacre which took the lives of 20 children and six adults at the Sandy Hook Elementary School. He implored readers who have “suffered too much pain to allow this to continue” to contact members of Congress. “Ask them if they support universal background checks or renewing a ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. And if they say no, ask them why not. Ask them why getting an A-grade from the gun lobby is more important than giving parents some peace of mind when they drop their child off for first grade.”
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Forbes Latest

Feds say former Connecticut priest sold meth, bought sex shop

To onlookers, Monsignor Kevin Wallin‘s fall from grace at his Connecticut parish was like something out of “Breaking Bad,” the television series about a high school chemistry teacher who becomes a methamphetamine lord.

The suspended Roman Catholic priest was arrested on federal drug charges this month for allegedly having methamphetamine mailed to him from co-conspirators in California and making more than $300,000 in drugs sales out of his apartment in Waterbury in the second half of last year.

Along the way, authorities said, he bought a small adult video and sex toy shop in the nearby town of North Haven named “Land of Oz & Dorothy’s Place,” apparently to launder all the money he was making. He has pleaded not guilty, and jury selection in his trial is scheduled to begin March 21.

On social media sites, people couldn’t help but compare Wallin with Walter White, the main character on “Breaking Bad” who was making so much cash that he and his wife bought a car wash to launder their profits. He has also been dubbed in some media as “Monsignor Meth.”

Wallin, 61, was the pastor of St. Augustine Parish in Bridgeport for nine years until he resigned in June 2011, citing health and personal problems. He previously served six years as pastor of St. Peter’s Church in Danbury until 2002.

He was granted a sabbatical in July 2011. The Diocese of Bridgeport suspended him from public ministry last May.

Diocesan officials become concerned about Wallin in the spring of 2011 after complaints about his appearance and erratic behavior, diocese spokesman Brian Wallace told the Connecticut Post.

Some reports of his behavior were startling.

“We became aware that he was acting out sexually — with men — in the church rectory,” Wallace told the newspaper, adding that church officials deemed the sexual behavior unbecoming of a priest and asked Wallin to resign.

Wallace didn’t return several messages left by The Associated Press.

“News of Monsignor Kevin Wallin‘s arrest comes with a sense of shock and concern on the part of the diocese and the many people of Fairfield County who have known him as a gifted, accomplished and compassionate priest,” the diocese said in a statement on Jan. 16 after learning about Wallin’s arrest. “We ask for prayers for Monsignor Wallin during the difficult days ahead for him.”

Wallin’s arrest called attention to larger problems within the church, said Voice of the Faithful in the Diocese of Bridgeport, one of many local chapters of the lay organization formed in response to the sexual abuse crisis in the church.

“Catholics have to ask whether the mandatory obligation of celibacy imposes a harmful burden on priests and whether women ought to be admitted to the priesthood,” the group said in a statement. “The steady decline in the number of priests, the aging of priests, the terrible sin of pedophilia among priests, and the downfall of Monsignor Wallin are all signs of a sickness in the priesthood. It is time to seek a remedy for this awful malady that threatens the Eucharist, the center of Catholic life.”

Elizabeth Badjan, a member of the St. Augustine congregation, told The New York Times that Wallin needed the prayers of parishioners.

“This is all the work of evil,” she said as she left Mass last weekend. “He was not close enough to God. He was tempted by the devil.”

Wallin’s case has drawn comparisons to that of the Rev. Ted Haggard, a well-known evangelical megachurch pastor in Colorado who was forced out of his job in 2006 after a male escort alleged Haggard had paid him for sex and bought crystal meth.

Federal agents arrested Wallin on Jan. 3, and a grand jury indicted him and four other people on drug charges on Jan. 15. All are charged with one count of conspiracy to distribute 500 grams or more of a substance containing methamphetamine and 50 grams of actual methamphetamine, a crime that carries 10 years to life in prison upon conviction.

Wallin is also charged with six counts of possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine.

Last July, Drug Enforcement Administration agents in New York told agents in the New Haven office that there was an unidentified Connecticut-based drug trafficker distributing methamphetamine in the region. Two months later, an informant told the DEA that the trafficker was Wallin, according to an affidavit by agent Jay Salvatore in New Haven.

The Connecticut Statewide Narcotics Task Force was also investigating Wallin.

Authorities said an undercover officer with the state task force bought methamphetamine from Wallin six times from Sept. 20 to Jan. 2, paying more than $3,400 in total for 23 grams of the drug.

Federal agents also say they learned through wiretaps and informants about other sales Wallin was making.

Connecticut U.S. Attorney David Fein said federal and state authorities worked together in “the dismantling of what we allege was a significant methamphetamine distribution organization that spanned from California to Connecticut.”

Also charged in the case were Kenneth Devries, 52, of Waterbury; Michael Nelson, 40, of Manchester; Chad McCluskey, 43, of San Clemente, Calif.; and Kristen Laschober, 47, of Laguna Niguel, Calif. Authorities say McCluskey and Laschober were involved in the shipping of methamphetamine to Wallin.

Messages by the AP were left lawyers for Wallin, McCluskey and Laschober. Wallin is being detained without bail at the Bridgeport Correctional Center, state records show.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Jury selection scheduled for alleged cross-dressing priest accused in meth ring

Jury selection has been scheduled for March for a suspended Roman Catholic priest in Connecticut charged in an alleged methamphetamine drug-selling operation.

Sixty-one-year-old Monsignor Kevin Wallin of Waterbury remains detained without bail on federal charges accusing him of shipping methamphetamine from California to his apartment and making more than $300,000 in drug sales in the second half of last year.

He was one of five people arrested and indicted by a grand jury this month. He has pleaded not guilty to charges.

Federal prosecutors say Wallin, who is now dubbed “Msgr. Meth,” sold most of the drugs out of his apartment in Waterbury from August to December, and some of the transactions involved an undercover officer. He is accused of selling upwards of $9,000 of meth a week.

Wallin resigned as pastor of St. Augustine Parish in Bridgeport in June 2011, citing health and personal problems. Diocese of Bridgeport officials suspended him last May.

A diocese spokesman told the Connecticut Post that there were complaints about Wallin’s appearance, erratic behavior and sexual encounters with men in the St. Augustine rectory.

Wallin purchased an adult specialty and video store in North Haven called Land of Oz that sold sex toys and adult videos.

The arrest is said to have shocked residents throughout Bridgeport and Danbury.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Feds: 'Monsignor Meth' dealt drug, bought sex shop

To onlookers, Monsignor Kevin Wallin‘s fall from grace at his Connecticut parish was like something out of “Breaking Bad,” the television series about a high school chemistry teacher who becomes a methamphetamine lord.

The suspended Roman Catholic priest was arrested on federal drug charges this month for allegedly having methamphetamine mailed to him from co-conspirators in California and making more than $300,000 in drugs sales out of his apartment in Waterbury in the second half of last year.

Along the way, authorities said, he bought a small adult video and sex toy shop in the nearby town of North Haven named “Land of Oz & Dorothy’s Place,” apparently to launder all the money he was making. He has pleaded not guilty, and jury selection in his trial is scheduled to begin March 21.

On social media sites, people couldn’t help but compare Wallin with Walter White, the main character on “Breaking Bad” who was making so much cash that he and his wife bought a car wash to launder their profits. He has also been dubbed in some media as “Monsignor Meth.”

Wallin, 61, was the pastor of St. Augustine Parish in Bridgeport for nine years until he resigned in June 2011, citing health and personal problems. He previously served six years as pastor of St. Peter’s Church in Danbury until 2002.

He was granted a sabbatical in July 2011. The Diocese of Bridgeport suspended him from public ministry last May.

Diocesan officials become concerned about Wallin in the spring of 2011 after complaints about his appearance and erratic behavior, diocese spokesman Brian Wallace told the Connecticut Post.

Some reports of his behavior were startling.

“We became aware that he was acting out sexually — with men — in the church rectory,” Wallace told the newspaper, adding that church officials deemed the sexual behavior unbecoming of a priest and asked Wallin to resign.

Wallace didn’t return several messages left by The Associated Press.

“News of Monsignor Kevin Wallin‘s arrest comes with a sense of shock and concern on the part of the diocese and the many people of Fairfield County who have known him as a gifted, accomplished and compassionate priest,” the diocese said in a statement on Jan. 16 after learning about Wallin’s arrest. “We ask for prayers for Monsignor Wallin during the difficult days ahead for him.”

Wallin’s arrest called attention to larger problems within the church, said Voice of the Faithful in the Diocese of Bridgeport, one of many local chapters of the lay organization formed in response to the sexual abuse crisis in the church.

“Catholics have to ask whether the mandatory obligation of celibacy imposes a harmful burden on priests and whether women ought to be admitted to the priesthood,” the group said in a statement. “The steady decline in the number of priests, the aging of priests, the terrible sin of pedophilia among priests, and the downfall of Monsignor Wallin are all signs of a sickness in the priesthood. It is time to seek a remedy for this awful malady that threatens the Eucharist, the center of Catholic life.”

Elizabeth Badjan, a member of the St. Augustine congregation, told The New York Times that Wallin needed the prayers of parishioners.

“This is all the work of evil,” she said as she left Mass last weekend. “He was not close enough to God. He was tempted by the devil.”

Wallin’s case has drawn comparisons to that of the Rev. Ted Haggard, a well-known evangelical megachurch pastor in Colorado who was forced out of his job in 2006 after a male escort alleged Haggard had paid him for sex and bought crystal meth.

Federal agents arrested Wallin on Jan. 3, and a grand jury indicted him and four other people on drug charges on Jan. 15. All are charged with one count of conspiracy to distribute 500 grams or more of a substance containing methamphetamine and 50 grams of actual methamphetamine, a crime that carries 10 years to life in prison upon conviction.

Wallin is also charged with six counts of possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine.

Last July, Drug Enforcement Administration agents in New York told agents in the New Haven office that there was an unidentified Connecticut-based drug trafficker distributing methamphetamine in the region. Two months later, an informant told the DEA that the trafficker was Wallin, according to an affidavit by agent Jay Salvatore in New Haven.

The Connecticut Statewide Narcotics Task Force was also investigating Wallin.

Authorities said an undercover officer with the state task force bought methamphetamine from Wallin six times from Sept. 20 to Jan. 2, paying more than $3,400 in total for 23 grams of the drug.

Federal agents also say they learned through wiretaps and informants about other sales Wallin was making.

Connecticut U.S. Attorney David Fein said federal and state authorities worked together in “the dismantling of what we allege was a significant methamphetamine distribution organization that spanned from California to Connecticut.”

Also charged in the case were Kenneth Devries, 52, of Waterbury; Michael Nelson, 40, of Manchester; Chad McCluskey, 43, of San Clemente, Calif.; and Kristen Laschober, 47, of Laguna Niguel, Calif. Authorities say McCluskey and Laschober were involved in the shipping of methamphetamine to Wallin.

Messages by the AP were left lawyers for Wallin, McCluskey and Laschober. Wallin is being detained without bail at the Bridgeport Correctional Center, state records show.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Suspended priest pleads not guilty in meth probe

A suspended Roman Catholic priest in Connecticut has pleaded not guilty to federal drug charges accusing him of taking in more than $300,000 from sales of methamphetamines.

The Connecticut Post reports (http://bit.ly/VSCCTg ) that 61-year-old Kevin Wallin entered the pleas Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Hartford. Four other people have been charged in the alleged drug-selling operation that authorities say involved shipments of methamphetamine from California to Connecticut.

Wallin is the former pastor of St. Augustine Parish in Bridgeport. He resigned in 2011 citing health and personal issues and was suspended from public ministry last May by the Diocese of Bridgeport.

Federal prosecutors say Wallin sold most of the drugs out of his apartment in Waterbury from August to December and some of the transactions involved an undercover officer.

___

Information from: Connecticut Post, http://www.connpost.com

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News