Tag Archives: Butler County

Punxsutawney Phil's handler takes blame for faulty forecast

An Ohio prosecutor who has light-heartedly filed a criminal indictment against the famous Pennsylvania groundhog who fraudulently “predicted” an early spring said he may consider a pardon now that the animal’s handler is taking the blame.

That’s right, Bill Deeley, president of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club’s Inner Circle, on Monday told The Associated Press that the animal rightly predicted six more weeks of winter last month, but Deeley mistakenly announced an early spring because he failed to correctly interpret Phil’s “groundhog-ese.”

“I’m the guy that did it; I’ll be the fall guy. It’s not Phil’s fault,” Deeley said.

As a result, Butler County, Ohio prosecutor, Mike Gmoser also told the AP he’s reconsidering the charges in light of the new evidence and may issue a full pardon.

“Frankly, he is a cute little rascal, a cute little thing,” Gmoser said, referring to Phil, not Deeley, his 63-year-old handler. “And if somebody is willing to step up to the plate and take the rap, I’m willing to listen.”

The Groundhog Day celebration in Punxsutawney, a borough about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, attracts worldwide attention each year. But the attention stretched well beyond Feb. 2 when Gmoser last week announced issued an indictment as winter-like weather continued across much of the nation even as Spring began.

Punxsutawney Phil did purposely, and with prior calculation and design, cause the people to believe that spring would come early,” Gmoser’s indictment said, before keeping his tongue firmly planted in his cheek by announcing plans to seek the death penalty.

Deeley tells the AP this is the second year in a row he’s misinterpreted Phil’s forecast.

“Remember, last year at this time it was 80 degrees and Phil had predicted six more weeks of winter,” Deeley said.

Under normal circumstances, Deeley’s interpretation of the forecast is infallible, as long as he clings to the gnarly, magical “Arcadian” cane while the rodent whispers the forecast into his ear. Deeley still doesn’t know what went wrong, but said the borough is nonetheless pleased to still be in the news more than six week later — “We couldn’t have generate this much publicity with a $10,000 ad campaign” — albeit with more snow on the ground canceling its local schools on Monday.

“Normally, this time of the year, nobody mentions our name so, good or bad, I guess they’re talking,” Deeley said. “This morning in bed I talked to a Philadelphia radio station.”

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

3 shoeless inmates found after escaping Mo. jail

Two murder suspects and a third inmate who escaped from a southeast Missouri jail were found hiding Tuesday in the cab of a truck at a salvage yard, still wearing their orange jail suits but without their shoes, authorities said.

The trio — Matthew Brandon Cook, Kade Reaves Stringfellow and Rodney Joe Green — were taken into custody around 3:30 p.m. without incident, said Missouri Highway Patrol spokesman Trooper Clark Parrott. One of the men had previously worked at the salvage yard, which was about five miles from the jail.

“The guys who were out there searching were doing a systematic search and opened up the cab and there the three of them were,” Parrott said, adding that all three were wearing orange jail-issued shirts and pants but had lost their shoes.

All three men had been jailed awaiting trials. Cook and Stringfellow were facing murder charges in separate cases, while Green was facing charges for allegedly shooting and wounding a couple after breaking into their home.

The men had walked to get to the salvage yard just east of Poplar Bluff after escaping around 11:30 p.m. Monday through the ceiling of the Butler County Jail. Parrott said authorities hadn’t received a tip that the men were there.

“It was just, ‘Hey, where would you go if you were on the run?’ Someplace familiar,” Parrott said. “We have turned over every rock we could find in Poplar Bluff and southeast Butler County today. And that was just one more place for us to go look.”

Parrott said the men were being interviewed, and he didn’t have any information about new charges.

Cook’s public defender, Ian Page, said he hadn’t had a chance to talk to his client and couldn’t comment. Stringfellow’s attorney didn’t immediately return a phone call seeking comment, and no attorney was listed for Green in online court records.

Sheriff Mark Dobbs didn’t immediately respond to phone messages Tuesday left by The Associated Press, but he told local media that the inmates climbed through air ducts to get out of the jail. He blamed faulty building design — walls that don’t extend all the way up to the ceiling — that he said he and two previous sheriffs have tried to get fixed.

Jail …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Search on for 3 inmates who escaped Missouri jail

Authorities in southeast Missouri were conducting a frantic search Tuesday for two murder suspects and a third man who escaped from a county jail overnight.

The escape happened around 11:30 p.m. Monday at the Butler County Jail in Poplar Bluff. Authorities say Matthew Brandon Cook, Kade Reaves Stringfellow and Rodney Joe Green escaped through the ceiling. Jail employees discovered that the inmates were missing a short time after the escape, said Frank Casteel, 911 director for Butler County.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol, Butler County authorities and police from neighboring counties and towns were assisting in the search, Casteel said. All three suspects were considered armed and extremely dangerous.

“With the severity of their crimes they were being held for, we do believe it’s possible they may have the capability to get their hands on weapons,” Casteel said.

Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper Clark Parrott said the patrol brought in airplanes to aid in the search.

It wasn’t immediately clear if schools in the Poplar Bluff area were on lockdown. Messages left with the superintendent were not returned.

All three inmates were jailed and awaiting trials.

Cook, 29, is one of two men charged with first-degree murder, robbery and other crimes in the Feb. 19 killing of Sean Crow, 34, of Bernie, Mo., in a McDonald’s parking lot in Advance, Mo.

A probable cause statement from Stoddard County deputy Hank Trout said Cook sent a text message to the victim using the cellphone of a woman they both knew, asking Crow to meet at the restaurant. Crow was found slumped over in his pickup truck the next day, dead of a single shot to the head from a .22-caliber pistol. Surveillance video helped lead police to Cook and a man who was with him.

Stringfellow, 23, of Portageville, is charged with second-degree murder in the July death of his infant son, Karson Stringfellow. A probable cause statement from New Madrid County deputy Danny Ware said medical workers became suspicious due to the child’s injuries and inconsistent statements by Stringfellow, who claimed he had slipped and fallen while holding the infant.

Doctors at St. Louis Children’s Hospital determined the child had bleeding in the brain and both eyes, and multiple fractured …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

NJ man pleads in crash ruse deaths of dad, stepmom

A New Jersey landscaper who claimed his father and stepmother had died in a car crash has pleaded no-contest to third-degree murder in Pennsylvania.

Forty-two-year-old Colin Abbott of Randolph, N.J. entered the pleas Tuesday in the deaths of pharmaceutical executive Kenneth Abbott and his wife, Celeste. The deal allows him to avoid the death penalty.

Authorities say Colin Abbott dismembered the bodies and scattered their charred remains on the family property in Butler County, about 50 miles north of Pittsburgh. Police say he told his family the couple died in a June 2011 car crash.

Prosecutors say Kenneth Abbott‘s multimillion-dollar estate was a factor in the killings.

Colin Abbott is scheduled to be sentenced Wednesday. Prosecutors are recommending a sentence of 35 to 80 years in prison.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Ohio sheriff wants to arm ex-cop teachers

A southwest Ohio sheriff proposed Thursday arming former police officers who go into teaching as a solution for improving school safety.

Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones said Thursday he had sworn in a retired Mason, Ohio, city police officer as a special deputy. The man, Scott Miller, was recently certified as a substitute teacher.

Jones calls the arrangement a “two for one,” meaning the special deputies can carry guns and make arrests, and as retired officers, the teachers would already have law enforcement training and experience.

“It’s another avenue for getting armed personnel who are properly trained into the schools,” he said. “Somebody has got to do something.”

It’s unlikely enough police-turned-teachers could staff every school but Jones says knowing a school could have an armed substitute teacher on any given day would deter criminals. He said besides retired officers, there are many officers laid off in budget cuts in recent years who might want to get into teaching.

Jones’ proposal would be subject to school boards’ approval. He said he has contacted several school officials already and gotten some positive feedback.

A message for comment was left Thursday for the Hamilton City Schools district in the Butler County seat.

Jones has gotten national attention previously for a high-profile campaign against illegal immigration.

Meanwhile, Ohio officials in Columbus on Thursday held the first of five planned regional training events meant to help educators spot warning signs and how to prepare for and respond to school shooting situations. Across the state, schools are considering ways to better defend against shooting attacks like at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut last month and Chardon High School in northeast Ohio a year ago.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News