Tag Archives: Ramzi Yousef

NY marks 20th anniversary of World Trade bombing

A ceremony honoring six people who died 20 years ago in the first terrorist attack on the World Trade Center was being held Tuesday at the 9/11 memorial, where the twin towers were felled eight years later.

More than 1,000 people were injured in the 1993 blast in an underground garage below one of the towers. It was the first dramatic demonstration that “terrorism is theater and New York is the biggest stage,” Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said last week.

Six Islamic extremists were convicted of carrying out the bombing, including mastermind Ramzi Yousef. The 2001 attack brought down the World Trade Center, where more than 2,700 people died.

The ceremony was being held at the memorial, and a moment of silence will be observed at 12:18 p.m., the time when a truck bomb was detonated below the north tower.

At first, officials assumed the explosion on a chilly day was an accident. The initial report to police that day called it an apparent transformer explosion at the trade center.

Kelly raced to the scene, where the bomb planted in a parked Ryder van had left a crater half the size of a football field in the trade center garage, causing more than a half-billion dollars in damage.

“I remember seeing this tremendous sea of first-responder vehicles … and smoke was coming out,” said Kelly, who was on his first stint as police commissioner.

The trade center stood in the darkness that night for the first time since it opened in 1973.

It was only the next day, after a utility mishap was ruled out, that authorities “started to come to the conclusion it was bomb,” Kelly said.

Investigators then found a vehicle identification number on a piece of the blown-up van that they traced to Mohammed Salameh, who had rented the van.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

NYC marks 20th anniversary of '93 World Trade Center bombing

Tuesday marks the 20th anniversary of the first terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.

A noontime ceremony is planned to honor the six people who died in the 1993 blast in an underground garage below one of the twin towers. More than 1,000 people were injured.

The attack was the first dramatic demonstration that “terrorism is theater and New York is the biggest stage,” said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

The ceremony was being held at the 9/11 memorial that honors more than 2,700 people who died in the 2001 terrorist attack at the World Trade Center.

A moment of silence will be observed at 12:18 p.m., the time when a truck bomb was detonated below the north tower.

Six Islamic extremists were convicted of carrying out the bombing, including mastermind Ramzi Yousef.

At first, officials assumed the explosion on a chilly day was an accident.

The initial report to police that day called it an apparent transformer explosion at the trade center.

Kelly raced to the scene, where the bomb planted in a parked Ryder van had left a crater half the size of a football field in the trade center garage, causing more than a half-billion dollars in damage.

“I remember seeing this tremendous sea of first-responder vehicles … and smoke was coming out,” said Kelly, who was on his first stint as police commissioner.

The trade center stood in the darkness that night for the first time since it opened in 1973.

It was only the next day, after a utility mishap was ruled out, that authorities “started to come to the conclusion it was bomb,” Kelly said.

Investigators then found a vehicle identification number on a piece of the blown-up van that they traced to Mohammed Salameh, who had rented the van.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Terrorist serving life for role in 1993 WTC bombing reportedly sues to end solitary

A convicted terrorist serving life with no parole plus 240 years for masterminding the 1993 World Trade Center bombing has reportedly filed a lawsuit arguing he should be let out of solitary confinement.

The Los Angeles Times reports Ramzi Yousef is hoping he can persuade a judge to end his nearly 24-hour solitary confinement at a Colorado prison known as the “Fortress in the Rockies.”

“I request an immediate end to my solitary confinement and ask to be in a unit in an open prison environment where inmates are allowed outside their cells for no less than 14 hours a day,” he reportedly wrote in confidential government records obtained by The Los Angeles Times. “I have been in solitary confinement in the U.S. since Feb. 8, 1995, with no end in sight…. I further ask not to be in handcuffs or leg irons when moved outside my cell.”

Yousef reportedly claims his due process under the law is being violated because he has no chance to get out of solitary confinement despite 15 years of good behavior in prison. The lawsuit reportedly claims his time in solitary confinement has led to “severe psychological trauma.”

Yousef was convicted of masterminding the February 1993 bombing, which killed six and injured more than 1,000. He was also convicted of trying to kill Pope John Paul II and President Clinton, and plotting to bomb planes.

His terror acts were funded by Al Qaeda and his uncleKhalid Shaikh Mohammed, who is allegedly the mastermind behind the September 11 attacks, The Los Angeles Times reports.

Click for more from The Los Angeles Times.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News