Tag Archives: RAI

4 Italian journalists held in Syria

The Italian Foreign Ministry says that four Italian journalists have been detained in Syria.

The Foreign Ministry on Saturday said that they are in touch with the families of the journalists but declined to say who have detained them or release further details out of concern for their safety.

Italian media have reported that the four are a RAI public television reporter and three freelancers who had entered Syria earlier this month with the intention of working by day in Syria and crossing into Turkey in the evening. They were first reported detained in northern Syria near the Turkish border on Friday.

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

RAI Makes Notable Cross Below Critical Moving Average

By DividendChannel.com

In trading on Friday, shares of Reynolds American Inc (NYSE: RAI) crossed below their 200 day moving average of $43.43, changing hands as low as $43.32 per share. Reynolds American Inc shares are currently trading down about 0.6% on the day. The chart below shows the one year performance of RAI shares, versus its 200 day moving average: …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Forbes Markets

Italian bank official: Nationalization is possible

The chairman of embattled Italian bank Monte dei Paschi says nationalizing the world’s oldest running bank remains “potentially” possible — but emphasized managers’ commitment to avoid that outcome.

Alessandro Profumo told RAI state television Tuesday evening that the bank’s reorganization plan should ensure that it can repay €3.9 billion ($5.26 billion) in state aid and prevent nationalization.

The bank sought the bonds to help raise capital to buffer its high exposure to Italian debt. It took an additional blow with revelations of potential losses in the hundreds of millions of euros related to derivative-based trades.

Monte dei Paschi’s crisis has become fodder for the ongoing election campaign, with politicians pointing fingers over the bailout and making accusations of lack of oversight. Italy votes for a new government next month.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Italian bank scandal becomes electoral issue

An Italian comedian-turned-political activist attacked the head of Monte dei Paschi bank over a trading scandal on Friday. Angry shareholders, meanwhile, sought explanations for millions in expected losses before accepting a capital increase needed to safeguard the bank.

Beppe Grillo, a popular comedian whose anti-establishment 5 Stelle movement is fourth in the polls ahead of next month’s elections, accused the bank of covering up a hole he estimated at €14 billion (€19 billion).

Such a loss would put it on par with the fraud that sank dairy company Parmalat, the largest to date in Europe. It is also far above most estimates for the loss from three trades, which range in the hundreds of millions of euros.

Chairman Alessandro Profumo, the former head of Unicredit who took over last year, challenged Grillo, a shareholder, to back up his allegation.

“Tell me where this comes from? There is no hole,” Profumo said, according to Italian news agency LaPresse.

The heated exchange took place at a shareholders’ meeting that approved capital increases needed for the bank to receive up to €3.9 billion ($5.22 billion) in state aid. The aid includes €500 million to cover losses from three transactions that had been allegedly covered up. The lion’s share of the aid will help the bank, which has been hit hard by the European debt crisis, meet new capital requirements.

Profumo said it was too early to provide details of the three complex financial transactions, one of which will reportedly result in a €200 million loss in 2012. The bank is investigating the transactions and is due to present the results in mid-February.

The scandal at the world’s oldest running bank has quickly become fodder for campaigning politicians, with accusations flying of a lack of oversight and political meddling in the bank.

Italian Economics Minister Vittorio Grilli said the problems with the trades “could come to light now” because some of them carried such long expiration dates, meaning losses were only booked recently.

Grilli is set to testify to a parliamentary finance committee on Tuesday. He will have to answer questions over the handling by Premier Mario Monti‘s 13-month-old government‘s handling. It has been criticized for failing to provide adequate oversight and for providing aid to Monte dei Paschi.

Monti, speaking on RAI state radio, said Italian banks were “among the most solid in Europe” and that the government would be repaid the bailout money.

The board of Montepaschi, as it is more commonly known, on Thursday issued a statement expressing concern over what it called the “exploitation” of the events by politicians and other public figures — and warned that the use of such phrases as “failure” were both without basis and damaged the bank’s clients, shareholders and employees.

The scandal over the transactions caused shares to lose 20 percent of their value in three days of trading. The rebounded a full 14 percent to €0.26 on Friday as investors bought into expectations that Italy would not allow the bank, founded in 1472, to fail.

The bank’s former chairman has resigned from his latest job at the Italian Banking Association as a result of the revelations. The Bank of Italy claims the former management hid the transactions, which were only revealed by the new team that took over last year.

____

Angela Charlton contributed from Davos, Switzerland.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Survivors of Costa Concordia disaster mark anniversary

Survivors of the Costa Concordia shipwreck and relatives of the 32 people who died marked the first anniversary of the grounding Sunday with the unveiling of memorials to the victims, a Mass in their honor and a minute of silence to recall the exact moment that the cruise ship rammed into a reef off Tuscany.

The first event of Sunday’s daylong commemoration was the return to the sea of part of the massive rock that tore into the hull of the 112,000-ton ocean liner on Jan. 13, 2012 and remained embedded as the vessel capsized along with its 4,200 passengers and crew.

As fog horns wailed, a crane on a tug lowered the boulder onto the reef off Giglio. Affixed to it was a memorial plaque. Survivors and relatives of the dead embraced as they watched the ceremony from a special ferry that bobbed in the waves under a slate gray sky.

A land-based memorial was being unveiled after a Mass and ceremony honoring rescue crews. A minute of silence was scheduled for 9:45 p.m., the exact moment when the Concordia slammed into the reef after the captain took the ship off course in a stunt to bring it closer to Giglio.

The captain, Francesco Schettino, remains under house arrest, accused of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and leaving the ship before all passengers were evacuated. He hasn’t been charged. Schettino maintains he saved lives by bringing the ship closer to shore rather than letting it sink in the open sea, and claims the reef he hit wasn’t on his nautical charts.

Taking part in the anniversary commemoration is Capt. Gregorio De Falco of the Italian coast guard, who became something of a hero to survivors after his recorded conversations with Schettino during the evacuation were made public. In the conversations, De Falco excoriated Schettino for having abandoned the ship before all passengers were off and ordered him to return, shouting the now-infamous order “Go on board (expletive)!”

De Falco said he wanted to go to Giglio to “embrace the victims, and the relatives of the victims.” De Falco, who has shied from all media attention since the disaster, said he did so out of respect for the victims.

“I don’t want notoriety for this tragedy. I have always avoided it,” he told RAI state television.

The Concordia remains capsized off Giglio’s port. Officials now say it will take until September to prepare the ship to be rolled upright and towed from the rocks to a port to be dismantled.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News