Tag Archives: Francesco Schettino

Italy court weighs indictments in Concordia wreck

An Italian court is mulling whether to hand down indictments against the captain and some crew of the Costa Concordia cruise ship for the 2012 grounding off Tuscany that killed 32 people.

Prosecutors want Capt. Francesco Schettino to stand trial for alleged manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning the ship before all passengers had been evacuated. They want four other crew members and a Costa manager to face charges of having botched the emergency

Schettino attended the preliminary, closed-door hearing Monday in the Tuscan city of Grosseto; the timing of a decision was unknown.

Schettino took the cruise ship off course and rammed it into a reef off Giglio island on Jan. 13, 2012, in a stunt. He has said he saved lives by bringing the ship closer to port.

From: http://feeds.foxnews.com/~r/foxnews/world/~3/mjM2W9XvpTE/

Judge fines Costa 1M euro for Concordia wreck

A judge in Tuscany has fined Italian cruise line Costa Crociere SpA 1 million euros in administrative sanctions for the 2012 wreckage of the Concordia cruise ship that killed 32 people.

Costa had asked for a plea bargain agreement to respond to the sanctions, which are foreseen for companies when employees commit crimes. On Tuesday Judge Valeria Montesarchio of the Grosseto tribunal accepted the plea.

Costa, a division of Carnival Corp., has sought to blame the disaster entirely on Capt. Francesco Schettino, who rammed the Concordia into a reef off the Tuscan island of Giglio on Jan. 13, 2012, causing it to take on water and capsize.

Grosseto prosecutors are seeking indictments for Schettino and five others on manslaughter and other charges; a preliminary hearing is scheduled for Monday.

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Prosecutor urges trial for Costa cruise ship capt

An Italian prosecutor has formally requested a manslaughter indictment against the captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship, which crashed into a reef off Tuscany last year, killing 32 people.

The prosecutors’ office in Grosseto also wants Capt. Francesco Schettino to be tried for causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship while the frantic evacuation of passengers and crew was still being conducted. A judge must decide whether to order a trial for Schettino and five others named in the indictment request Monday.

Prosecutors also said Costa Crociere SpA, the Italian cruise company, has asked for a plea bargain agreement which, if it was accepted, could see Costa pay a €1 million ($1.35 million) fine.

The ship went aground off the Italian island of Giglio during a publicity stunt.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Captain of wrecked Costa ship contests firing

The captain of the shipwrecked Costa Concordia has returned to court to contest his firing, and says he’ll “certainly” take command of a ship again.

Francesco Schettino is challenging Costa Crociere SpA’s decision to fire him after the Concordia ran aground off Tuscany Jan. 13, 2012, and capsized, killing 32 people. Court-appointed experts have blamed Schettino for the disaster, saying he took the ship off course in a stunt.

Schettino insists his deft steering saved lives and that the reef the ship hit wasn’t on his charts.

As he arrived Wednesday for the closed-door hearing in Torre Annunziata, near Naples, Schettino was asked if he thought he’d command a ship again. He replied: “Yes, certainly.”

A separate court is deciding whether to indict Schettino on manslaughter and other charges.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Survivors of Costa Concordia disaster mark anniversary

Survivors of the Costa Concordia shipwreck and relatives of the 32 people who died marked the first anniversary of the grounding Sunday with the unveiling of memorials to the victims, a Mass in their honor and a minute of silence to recall the exact moment that the cruise ship rammed into a reef off Tuscany.

The first event of Sunday’s daylong commemoration was the return to the sea of part of the massive rock that tore into the hull of the 112,000-ton ocean liner on Jan. 13, 2012 and remained embedded as the vessel capsized along with its 4,200 passengers and crew.

As fog horns wailed, a crane on a tug lowered the boulder onto the reef off Giglio. Affixed to it was a memorial plaque. Survivors and relatives of the dead embraced as they watched the ceremony from a special ferry that bobbed in the waves under a slate gray sky.

A land-based memorial was being unveiled after a Mass and ceremony honoring rescue crews. A minute of silence was scheduled for 9:45 p.m., the exact moment when the Concordia slammed into the reef after the captain took the ship off course in a stunt to bring it closer to Giglio.

The captain, Francesco Schettino, remains under house arrest, accused of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and leaving the ship before all passengers were evacuated. He hasn’t been charged. Schettino maintains he saved lives by bringing the ship closer to shore rather than letting it sink in the open sea, and claims the reef he hit wasn’t on his nautical charts.

Taking part in the anniversary commemoration is Capt. Gregorio De Falco of the Italian coast guard, who became something of a hero to survivors after his recorded conversations with Schettino during the evacuation were made public. In the conversations, De Falco excoriated Schettino for having abandoned the ship before all passengers were off and ordered him to return, shouting the now-infamous order “Go on board (expletive)!”

De Falco said he wanted to go to Giglio to “embrace the victims, and the relatives of the victims.” De Falco, who has shied from all media attention since the disaster, said he did so out of respect for the victims.

“I don’t want notoriety for this tragedy. I have always avoided it,” he told RAI state television.

The Concordia remains capsized off Giglio’s port. Officials now say it will take until September to prepare the ship to be rolled upright and towed from the rocks to a port to be dismantled.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News