Tag Archives: Le Parisien

France starts tense debate on sex life of disabled

A French regional government opened debate Monday on “the sexual life of the disabled” but backed off a push for sex surrogates amid unease about the issue.

The head of the Essonne department south of Paris, Jerome Guedj, had called for allowing sex surrogates — people who can help disabled people explore their sexuality — as part of regular social services delivered to those he said were least able to “discover their sexuality and their bodies.”

Guedj noted that sex surrogates for the disabled are permitted in some other European countries as well as in the U.S., as seen in the recent film “The Sessions.” Unlike in some other places, the French measure would have involved state funding.

But Guedj pulled the most contentious part of his proposal Monday, removing the term “sex surrogates” just ahead of the vote in the local council, after coming under criticism for opening the door to legalized prostitution.

Instead, the council agreed for now to open a “reflection on the sexual life of the disabled.”

Guedj’s original initiative won support from the French Association of the Paralyzed. “There’s a real denial of the sexual dimension of the disabled,” Pascale Ribes, vice president of the association, told Le Parisien newspaper. “That a group is trying to get past the taboos and try to deal with the problem is very encouraging.”

But a national ethics council on March 12 ruled that authorizing sex surrogates would essentially “merchandise the human body” and could leave recipients emotionally vulnerable.

France‘s minister for the disabled, Marie-Arlette Carlotti, said Guedj’s initiative is premature, but she welcomed debate on the issue.

“We’re lagging a bit in France,” Carlotti told Europe 1 radio in an interview Friday. “Reflecting on the emotional and sexual life should be a legitimate question.”

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

France steps up security in Paris after operation in Mali

Armed soldiers are on guard in Paris‘ subways, train stations and some of the world’s most recognizable monuments to head off terror attacks after France‘s military launched an operation to push back Al Qaeda-linked insurgents in Mali.

Since the operation in Mali began on Friday, the soldiers have reinforced already tight security with a far more visible presence. Interior Minister Manuel Valls said France is well aware of the dangers of attacks from terrorists angry over the intervention. But he said he believed the long-term threat posed by the advance of the militant Islamist fighters in Mali was far greater, because it could become a potential training ground for terrorists.

Declaring France had “opened the gates of hell” with its assault, the rebels from the Sahel desert region that includes Mali threatened retribution on Monday.

France is watching individuals who want to go to Afghanistan, Syria and the Sahel. We’re watching those who could return here,” Valls told the French television network BFM. “We’re facing an exterior enemy and an interior enemy.”

He said France had already fallen victim to attacks in recent months, referring to a French-born radical Islamist Mohammad Merah who targeted French soldiers and a Jewish school in the south, and a group of men accused of firebombing a kosher grocer in September.

The French government late last year passed a law barring citizens from training for terrorism abroad in response to the deadly attacks in the south by Merah, who received paramilitary training in Pakistan.

Marc Trevidic, a French judge who has investigated terrorism cases, said he was not worried about the threat of attacks in the short term.

“The Malian Islamists currently have other priorities than carrying out a terrorist attack in France,” he told Le Parisien newspaper. But long term, he said, the threat is very real, especially given how easy it is to travel between France and Mali. “With this military intervention, we’re on the front lines. Suddenly, France is a priority target.”

Some 100,000 Malians are residents of France, and there are regular direct flights between Mali‘s capital, Bamako, and Paris.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Microsoft Surface sales not expected to top 600,000 this quarter

Middling reviews and limited distribution may be putting a damper on sales of Microsoft’s Surface tablet, according to brokerage firm Detwiler Fenton.

The Boston-based firm estimates that Microsoft will sell between 500,000 and 600,000 Surface with Windows RT tablets in the December quarter. The fact that Surface is only available through Microsoft’s online store and small number of retail shops is a big factor, the firm said, and mixed reviews haven’t helped.
Image: Microsoft.com
I’d take that estimate with a grain of salt, as it’s not clear where those numbers come from – certainly not from Microsoft. Still, it’s not the only hint of low sales for the Surface. Last month, Digitimes (itself an iffy source for rumors) claimed that Microsoft cut its Surface RT orders by half, from four million to two million, citing supply chain sources.

Microsoft hasn’t revealed any official sales figures, but last month CEO Steve Ballmer was quoted by Le Parisien as saying Surface RT sales started off “modestly.” Microsoft then claimed that Ballmer was actually talking about distribution, rather than sales.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here
Source: PCWorld