Tag Archives: Dominique Lang

Teens pleads not guilty in Ga. baby slaying

A coastal Georgia teenager has pleaded not guilty to murder charges in the slaying of a baby that authorities say was shot in the face during an attempted robbery on a street.

Court records show 15-year-old Dominique Lang waived arraignment before a judge Thursday in Brunswick and entered his plea in writing. Attorneys told the judge a second suspect, 17-year-old De’Marquise (day-mahr-KEESE) Elkins, had also waived arraignment but there was no record of his written plea in the court file.

Elkins’ attorney, Kevin Gough, declined to comment.

The suspects are charged in the March 21 slaying of 13-month-old Antonio Santiago. Authorities say Elkins shot the child in his stroller as he and Lang tried to rob the baby’s mother.

Both teenagers have been charged as adults.

From: http://feeds.foxnews.com/~r/foxnews/national/~3/iCpT1FEXpG8/

Attorney wants separate trials in Ga. baby killing

The defense attorney for a 15-year-old charged with felony murder in a baby’s slaying in Georgia says he should be tried separately from an older teen accused of shooting the toddler in the face.

Attorney Kimberly L. Copeland said Tuesday she believes her client, Dominique Lang, is “more of a witness than a defendant.”

Copeland says she’s afraid Lang would automatically be found guilty if the same jury also chose to convict 17-year-old De’Marquise (deh-mahr-KEESE) Elkins. Authorities say he was the gunman.

Both teenagers are charged in coastal Brunswick with the March 21 slaying of 13-month-old Antonio Santiago, who was shot in the face as he sat in his stroller. Police say the baby and his mother were attacked in an attempted street robbery.

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Judge wants trial in baby killing before year ends

A judge said Friday he wants a trial before the end of the year for a teenager charged with fatally shooting a 13-month-old baby in the face during a street robbery two weeks ago.

Glynn County Superior Court Judge Stephen Kelley didn’t give a tentative trial date for 17-year-old De’Marquis Elkins. District Attorney Jackie Johnson told the judge she thought investigators would have evidence ready to share with Elkins’ defense lawyers next month. The judge scheduled the suspect’s next hearing for May 24.

“I do expect we will try this case by the end of this year,” Kelley told the attorneys at the end of a bond hearing Friday morning.

The judge denied Elkins’ request for bond, saying he was concerned the suspect might flee if he was released.

Elkins faces life in prison if convicted of malice murder in the March 21 slaying of Antonio Santiago. Police say the boy was shot in a robbery attempt. His mother, Sherry West, has said she was pushing her son in his stroller a few blocks from her apartment when two youths approached asking for money. When she refused, she said, one of them drew a gun and shot her in the leg before shooting her baby in the face.

An indictment last week identified Elkins as the person who pulled the trigger. Another teenager, 15-year-old Dominique Lang, has been charged with murder as an accomplice.

“Mr. Elkins is certainly disappointed with the decision” to deny him bond, said Kevin Gough, the suspect’s defense attorney. “But he is also every encouraged by the speedy trial schedule the court is considering.”

Gough had urged the judge to consider bond for Elkins based on his lack of any prior felony record, though Elkins pleaded guilty last year to misdemeanor charges of marijuana possession and giving a false name to a police officer.

The suspect’s 78-year-old great grandfather, McKinley Elkins Jr., took the witness stand and promised the judge he would personally look after his great grandson if he was released from jail pending trial.

“I truly believe, deep down in my heart, that he will be a gentleman from this day forward,” the elder Elkins said.

But just how well the great grandfather knew …read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Police find bullet they believe killed Ga. baby

Police say they’ve recovered a bullet in the slaying of a toddler who was gunned down in his stroller while walking with his mother in a coastal Georgia town.

Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering also said Thursday that more search warrants were executed Wednesday night, though he didn’t say specifically what new evidence was being sought.

The chief did say investigators recovered a bullet they believe killed 13-month-old Antonio Santiago as his mother strolled him down a Brunswick sidewalk on March 21.

An indictment this week accuses 17-year-old De’Marquise Elkins of shooting the toddler in the face. Elkins’ attorney says he’s not guilty.

A second suspect, 15-year-old Dominique Lang, is also charged with murder, though prosecutors say they believe it was Elkins who shot the child and wounded his mother in an attempted robbery.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Georgia teen indicted in baby murder, second unrelated shooting

Investigators told reporters Wednesday they believe the case of a baby who was fatally shot in his stroller during an alleged robbery attempt by a teenager was random — something they hadn’t said previously.

The comments came as an indictment by a Glynn County grand jury was served up charging 17-year-old De’Marquise Elkins on nine counts, including malice murder, in the slaying last Thursday of young Antonio Santiago a few blocks from his home in coastal Brunswick.

According to the indictment, the teenager shot the 13-month-old baby in the face while trying to rob the child’s mother. The indictment also charges the suspect with shooting another person in an unrelated robbery attempt earlier this month.

Another suspect, 15-year-old Dominique Lang, was indicted on seven counts including felony murder. But the indictment specifies that authorities believe it was Elkins who shot the child and wounded his mother with a .22-caliber revolver as the boys tried to steal money from her.

District Attorney Jackie Johnson of the Brunswick Judicial Circuit said in a statement Thursday she would not seek the death penalty against either suspect because Georgia law doesn’t allow capital punishment for defendants charged with crimes committed before they were 18. Both teens are charged as adults.

Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering told reporters before the indictment was returned that investigators believe the crime was random.

“We’re comfortable now, six days into it, to say the location of the incident and the victim were random,” Doering said. “I don’t have any information that shows otherwise.”

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Police: Slain baby, mom victims of random crime

Almost a week after a baby was fatally shot in his stroller, police in coastal Georgia are saying for the first time they believe the child and his mother were victims of a random crime.

Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering told reporters Wednesday investigators are looking into the possibility that the killing of 13-month-old Antonio Santiago in Brunswick was gang-related. But Doering says evidence police have gathered so far doesn’t support gang-related charges.

The child’s mother, Sherry West, says they were attacked last Thursday after she refused to give money to two youths who approached them on the street. She says a teenage gunman shot her in the leg and shot her baby in the face.

Police have charged 17-year-old De’Marquise Elkins and 15-year-old Dominique Lang with murder.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Mom, aunt of Ga. baby slaying suspect arrested

Police investigating the fatal shooting of a baby in coastal Georgia have arrested the mother and aunt of a teenage suspect on charges that they lied to authorities.

Glynn County jail records show 36-year-old Karimah Elkins and 33-year-old Katrina Elkins were booked Tuesday on charges of making false statements to police.

Karimah Elkins is the mother of 17-year-old De’Marquise Elkins, who is charged with murder in the Thursday killing of 13-month-old Antonio Santiago in Brunswick.

Katrina Elkins is the suspect’s aunt. She told The Associated Press and other media on Saturday that her nephew couldn’t have killed the child because he was at her house having breakfast.

The baby’s mother, Sherry West, identified De’Marquise Elkins in a police photo lineup as her son’s killer. Fifteen-year-old Dominique Lang is also charged.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News