Tag Archives: Albrecht Muth

December trial date in case of slain DC journalist

A Washington, D.C., judge has set a December trial date for a German man charged with killing his elderly wife.

Albrecht Muth was originally scheduled to stand trial beginning Monday, but a judge postponed it because Muth has grown increasingly weak from months of starvation. He remains hospitalized.

Superior Court Judge Russell Canan didn’t set a new trial date at a hearing last week. Online court records show he later scheduled the trial for Dec. 2.

It’s not clear whether the 48-year-old Muth will be deemed well enough to attend the trial by that point. He is charged in the August 2011 killing of 91-year-old Viola Drath, a German journalist and socialite. He has denied any role in her death.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Husband's hunger strike brings US murder trial of German socialite to standstill

The already-bizarre criminal case of a murdered German socialite and journalist has been brought to a virtual standstill by her husband’s refusal to eat, which has left the defendant unable to sit or stand on his own and at risk of death.

It’s the latest twist in the case against Albrecht Muth, a fellow German expatriate whose behavior has ranged from odd to obstructive since he was charged with the killing. Muth, nearly a half-century younger than his late wife, has argued unsuccessfully for the right to wear what he said was an Iraqi military uniform in court. He fired his public defenders — only to have them reappointed after he was deemed too physically weak to act as his own lawyer. He told the judge he’d follow his own rules and he’s name-dropped Jesus, David Petraeus and others in court proceedings.

Muth’s fasting prompted a judge to indefinitely postpone the trial, scheduled to start this Monday, after a doctor said Muth was too weak to be brought to court and prosecutors and defense lawyers said it wasn’t feasible for him to participate remotely from his hospital bed. Frustrated prosecutors say Muth, 48, is orchestrating his own unavailability and thwarting their efforts to hold him accountable in the August 2011 slaying, and an exasperated judge says the case remains in “limbo status” until at least next month.

Muth’s behavior has defied an easy solution: His presence in the courtroom could harm his health and disrupt the proceedings, but his absence could set up an appeal on grounds that the trial was improperly held.

The parties are right to proceed cautiously since a trial without the defendant is an option “reserved for the most bizarre, unheard of collection of circumstances that essentially result in a perfect storm,” said Bernie Grimm, a Washington criminal defense lawyer not involved in the case.

“When a defendant’s not there, it’s just a hornet’s nest for the judge,” he said, adding that a hastily made decision could raise all sorts of bases for an appeal.

Other options have been debated.

Prosecutor Glenn Kirschner suggested at one point that he might seek a court order to force-feed the defendant, but he’s acknowledged that Muth — who’s been hospitalized for two months — might be too ill for that. Superior Court Judge Russell Canan also considered having Muth appear via video link. But Kirschner argued that Muth could “very well die on camera, on a two-way video feed” before the jury. He said he saw no way for the trial to proceed as scheduled.

“It’s not an approach that the government is comfortable risking a trial, a criminal conviction and a possible reversal on,” Kirschner said.

His starvation, which he claims is for religious reasons, has been the biggest roadblock yet in the strange case that’s included his claims that he was a general in the Iraqi army and that the killing was an Iranian hit job. Muth began fasting after he was ruled competent to stand trial in December.

The investigation began after Muth reported finding 91-year-old …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Hunger strike hinders DC murder trial plans

The already-bizarre criminal case of a slain German socialite and journalist has been brought to a virtual standstill by her husband’s refusal to eat, which has left the defendant unable to sit or stand on his own and at risk of death.

It’s the latest twist in the case against Albrecht Muth, a fellow German expatriate whose behavior has ranged from odd to obstructive since he was charged with the killing. Muth, nearly a half-century younger than his late wife, has argued unsuccessfully for the right to wear what he said was an Iraqi military uniform in court. He fired his public defenders — only to have them reappointed after he was deemed too physically weak to act as his own lawyer. He told the judge he’d follow his own rules and he’s name-dropped Jesus, David Petraeus and others in court proceedings.

Muth’s fasting prompted a judge to indefinitely postpone the trial, scheduled to start this Monday, after a doctor said Muth was too weak to be brought to court and prosecutors and defense lawyers said it wasn’t feasible for him to participate remotely from his hospital bed. Frustrated prosecutors say Muth, 48, is orchestrating his own unavailability and thwarting their efforts to hold him accountable in the August 2011 slaying, and an exasperated judge says the case was in “limbo status” until at least next month.

Muth’s behavior has defied an easy solution: His presence in the courtroom could harm his health and disrupt the proceedings, but his absence could set up an appeal on grounds that the trial was improperly held.

The parties are right to proceed cautiously since a trial without the defendant is an option “reserved for the most bizarre, unheard of collection of circumstances that essentially result in a perfect storm,” said Bernie Grimm, a Washington criminal defense lawyer not involved in the case.

“When a defendant’s not there, it’s just a hornet’s nest for the judge,” he said, adding that a hastily made decision could raise all sorts of bases for an appeal.

Other options have been debated. Prosecutor Glenn Kirschner suggested at one point that he might seek a court order to force-feed the defendant, but he’s acknowledged that that Muth — who’s been hospitalized for two months — might be too ill for that. Superior Court Judge Russell Canan also considered having Muth appear via video link. But Kirschner argued that Muth could “very well die on camera, on a two-way video feed” before the jury. He said he …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

German man accused in wife's death in poor health

A German man charged with killing his much-older wife has been starving himself and a judge says he’s currently incapable of acting as his own attorney.

Superior Court Judge Russell Canan decided Wednesday he would hear more testimony later this month before making a final decision on whether 48-year-old Albrecht Muth can represent himself.

Muth is awaiting trial in the August 2011 death of his wife, 91-year-old Viola Drath, a German journalist and socialite.

He has been hospitalized since last month after his most recent hunger strike in jail. A doctor said Muth is in “very, very poor health” and unable to walk.

Muth has insisted on representing himself, and public defenders who have been advising him argued Wednesday that testimony should be heard before that right is removed.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News