Tag Archives: North Kivu

Kigali says two mortar bombs fired into Rwanda from DRC

Rwanda’s military spokesman said two mortar bombs were fired into the country from neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday.

He said the bombs, which caused no injuries, were fired in mid-afternoon “deliberately” and blamed the DRC army – the FARDC – and the UN force MONUSCO on the grounds they were fired from territory they control.

“Two bombs landed at Kageshi and Gasiza,” Joseph Nzabamwita said in a statement, referring to two villages in Rubavu district in northwestern Rwanda which borders the troubled eastern DR Congo.

Nzabamwita said the attack was a “provocative and deliberate act by FARDC and MONUSCO since there was no fighting nearby between the warring factions.”

His accusation came amid fierce clashes across the border between the DRC army and M23 rebels, which flared again Sunday around the flashpoint Congolese city of Goma, leaving at least 130 dead, according to a government spokesman.

Rwanda, along with neighbouring Uganda, has been accused of backing the M23, a charge both countries have denied.

Meanwhile Kigali has accused the DRC of co-operating with Rwandan Hutu rebels from the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) whose leaders are wanted for their alleged involvement in the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

Nzabamwita said the army had “credible information” that FDLR rebels were “currently embedded” in the DRC army.

The M23 briefly seized control of Goma, the capital of DRC’s North Kivu province last November but then pulled out.

The rebel group has since been weakened by an outright split into two factions and ensuing internal fighting that resulted in heavy casualties and a wave of desertions.

Talks in the Ugandan capital Kampala destined to restore calm to North Kivu started in December but have made little headway.

Since the talks started the only outbreak of fighting recorded between M23 and the army was in May.

The M23 however is just one of a myriad of armed groups operating in eastern Congo and other groups are involved in skirmishes and abuses against the civilian population on a regular basis.

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

DR Congo says 130 dead in army-rebel clashes

At least 130 people have been killed, including 10 soldiers, in ongoing clashes between army forces and rebels in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the government said Monday.

“Our forces have inflicted very heavy losses on the M23 fighters, 120 have been killed and 12 captured,” government spokesman Lambert Mende said, referring to fighting that broke out over the weekend.

Mende said that 10 soldiers had also died in the clashes, which erupted on Sunday in North Kivu province between the Congolese army and the M23 rebels.

UN soldiers did not intervene, Mende stressed.

“The toll from these skirmishes is not yet definitive but until now the army forces have responded with bravery and efficiency to this attack,” said Mende.

Army forces also managed to recapture previously rebel-held positions as they fled, said the spokesman.

Some 2,000 soldiers were reportedly deployed during the fighting but Mende declined to confirm this figure.

A heavily armed brigade of some 3,000 UN troops with more power to fight renegade forces than ever before has recently been dispatched to the region.

The troops, drawn in equal numbers from Malawi, South Africa and Tanzania, are joining about 17,000 UN soldiers already deployed in the area with a limited mandate to protect civilians and themselves only.

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Over 30,000 Congolese flee rebel attacks to Uganda: UN

More than 30,000 refugees from eastern Democratic Republic of Congo fleeing a rebel attack on the town of Kamango have arrived in neighbouring Uganda, UN officials said on Saturday.

Streams of refugees have crossed the border into western Uganda’s Bundibugyo district since the attack on Thursday.

United Nations refugee agency official Karen Ringuette said that as of late Friday, more than 30,000 had entered Uganda, updating a previous tally of at least 23,000.

So far, there had been no further updates of numbers arrived on Saturday, Ringuette added.

The town of Kamango in the northernmost part of North Kivu province was attacked and briefly occupied Thursday by a Ugandan-led rebel group, the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).

Ugandan army spokesman Paddy Ankunda said Saturday that troops have been sent to reinforce positions along the border with Congo.

“We have deployed enough forces on our common border to ensure these terrorists (ADF) do not cross the line, because Uganda is their target,” Ankunda told AFP.

“We are in contact with Congolese army and the situation is getting back to normal, but people have continued to enter Uganda fearing the rebels will kill them.”

The ADF was formed in the mid-1990s in the Rwenzori mountains in western Uganda, close to the DR Congo border.

Part of the ADF is now based in DR Congo after Ugandan government forces attacked their bases two years ago.

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Congo's army takes control of M23 town

Residents say that the Congolese army has taken control of a town that was run by M23 rebels for more than six months.

Jacques Kambale said early Saturday that lines of military entered the town of Kiwanja Friday afternoon.

Doctors Without Borders said late Friday that more than 55 civilians have been killed in fighting in another town in Congo‘s east, Kitchanga, where 135 people have been wounded. Thousands have fled the renewed violence.

Fighting began again in eastern Congo after the M23 divided into two groups on Wednesday. The new splinter group attacked positions held by M23 near the border with Uganda Thursday into Friday.

The M23 took Goma, the capital of North Kivu, in November but withdrew under international pressure. Congo‘s government promised negotiations with the group.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

South Africa police arrest alleged M23 rebels

Police in South Africa say they’ve arrested 19 alleged members of the Congo rebel group M23 on suspicion of plotting to overthrow the government there.

The South African Police Service issued a statement Tuesday announcing the arrests, but offered few details other than to say their “objective is believed to be to overthrow the current government” of Congo. The statement said the alleged rebels would appear in court later Tuesday.

Brig. Lindela Mashigo, a police spokesman, could not be immediately reached for comment.

The M23, an armed group said to be backed by Rwanda, is currently in the process of beginning negotiations with the Congolese government. The rebels briefly held and later withdrew from Goma, the capital of North Kivu province in eastern Congo, last year.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News