Tag Archives: New London

Conn. man who lost wife, daughter on 9/11 dies

A Connecticut man who lost his wife and their 4-year-old daughter in the 9/11 terrorist attacks has died of cancer. David McCourt was 71.

Thomas L. Neilan & Sons Funeral Home in New London says McCourt died Thursday of metastatic melanoma.

McCourt’s wife, Ruth, and their daughter, Juliana, were aboard United Flight 175 from Boston to Los Angeles to meet a friend of Ruth’s at Disneyland. Their plane struck the south tower of the World Trade Center.

The friend was aboard the other plane that hit the north tower.

Ruth McCourt’s brother was working in one of the World Trade Center towers that day but escaped.

David McCourt helped found B.R.A.V.E. Juliana, a program of HELP USA, to teach nonviolence and conflict resolution to children.

He later retired to Florida.

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

New Hampshire police chief resigns over nude photo complaint

The police chief in New London, N.H., has resigned after authorities say he told a woman he’d drop charges against her if she allowed him to photograph her nude.

The attorney general’s office said Thursday that it received a complaint about Chief David Seastrand on March 6 from a woman who had been arrested a few days earlier. The woman said Seastrand indicated the charges would be dropped if she allowed him to take nude pictures of her.

The attorney general’s said it will not bring charges against Seastrand, who agreed to resign and permanently relinquish his certification as a police officer.

The Concord Monitor reports that Seastrand, a 27-year veteran, told town officials Monday that he planned to retire later this month but did not give a reason.

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

President Obama Signs Connecticut Disaster Declaration

By The White House

The President today declared a major disaster exists in the State of Connecticut and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the area affected by a severe winter storm and snowstorm during the period of February 8-11, 2013.

Federal funding is available to state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities damaged by the severe winter storm and snowstorm in Fairfield, Hartford, Litchfield, Middlesex, New Haven, New London, Tolland, and Windham Counties and the Mashantucket Pequot and Mohegan Tribal Nations located within New London County.

In addition, Federal funding is available to state and eligible local governments on a cost-sharing basis for snow assistance for a continuous 48-hour period during or proximate to the incident period in Fairfield, Litchfield, Middlesex, New London, Tolland, and Windham Counties and the Mashantucket Pequot and Mohegan Tribal Nations located within New London County. This assistance will be provided for a 72-hour period in Hartford and New Haven Counties.

Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures for all counties and Tribes within the state.

W. Craig Fugate, Administrator, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Department of Homeland Security, named Albert Lewis as the Federal Coordinating Officer for federal recovery operations in the affected area.

FEMA said additional designations may be made at a later date if requested by the state and warranted by the results of further damage assessments.

…read more
Source: White House Press Office

Coast Guard Academy workers busted for sex on job

Officials at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy say a service member and five civilian employees were disciplined for misusing the school’s computers and engaging in sex acts during the workday.

Academy spokesman David Santos told The Day of New London (http://bit.ly/15bDA1k ) on Tuesday that the six people used government computers to send sexually explicit and other inappropriate content, and some of the six participated in consensual sex acts on the grounds of the New London academy.

Santos says the improper activities took place over a 2½-year period.

The service member was not a cadet and was discharged from the Coast Guard. Two civilian workers resigned and three were disciplined.

The academy didn’t release the six people’s names or details of the punishments, citing the privacy exemption to public records law.

___

Information from: The Day, http://www.theday.com

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News