Tag Archives: Late Saturday

UN Myanmar envoy visits ruined city after violence

The top UN envoy to Myanmar on Sunday toured a central city destroyed in the country’s worst explosion of Buddhist-Muslim violence this year, calling on the government to punish those responsible for a tragedy that left dozens of corpses piled in the streets, some of them charred beyond recognition.

Vijay Nambiar, the U.N. secretary-general’s special adviser on Myanmar, also visited some of the nearly 10,000 people driven from their homes after sectarian unrest shook the city of Meikhtila for several days this week. Most of the displaced are minority Muslims, who appeared to have suffered the brunt of the violence as armed Buddhist mobs roamed city.

Nambiar said he was encouraged to learn that some individuals in both communities had bravely helped each other and that religious leaders were now advocating peace. He said the people he spoke to believe the violence “was the work of outsiders,” but he gave no details.

“There is a certain degree of fear and anxiety among the people, but there is no hatred,” Nambiar said after visiting both groups on Sunday and promising the United Nations would provide as much help as it can to get the city back on its feet. “They feel a sense of community and that it is a very good thing because they have worked together and lived together.”

But he added: “It is important to catch the perpetrators. It is important that they be caught and punished.”

Nambiar’s visit came one day after the army took control of the city to enforce a tense calm after President Thein Sein ordered a state of emergency here.

Late Saturday, the government put the death toll in the violence at 32, according to state television, which reported that bodies had been found as authorities began cleaning up the area.

The bloodshed marked the first sectarian unrest to spread into Myanmar’s heartland since two similar episodes rocked western Rakhine state last year. It is the latest challenge to efforts to reform the Southeast Asian country after the long-ruling military ceded power two years ago to a civilian government led by retired army officers.

There are concerns the violence could spread, and the bloodshed has raised questions about the government‘s failure to rein in anti-Muslim sentiment in a predominantly Buddhist country where even monks have armed themselves and taken advantage of newfound freedoms to stage anti-Muslim rallies.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Kenya church moves past painful election history

The Rev. Joshua Kimuyu pointed where his church floor is broken and black, a scar from an attack five years old. More than 200 young men armed with crude weapons stormed the Africa Inland Church in Nairobi’s sprawling Kibera slum and set a generator on fire.

The explosion tore through the roof, creating one of the most visible scenes of postelection violence after Kenya‘s disputed election of 2007.

The dark spot is a constant reminder of the church’s vulnerability during national elections. But for Kimuyu there was no question of keeping its doors shut this Sunday, the day after Kenya‘s election commission announced the winner of the East African country’s fiercely contested presidential election. This time, Kimuyu said, there was nothing to fear after the two leading candidates — winner Uhuru Kenyatta and loser Raila Odinga — pleaded for calm and unity.

“When presidential candidates spoke to the media, they kind of fueled the steam in the people,” he said, looking back on the disputed election of 2007, when more than 1,000 people died in tribe-on-tribe violence. But this time, although the election was hotly contested and close, the candidates urged Kenyans to respect authority, and that appears to have made a difference, said Kimuyu.

Sunday was a day of peace in Kenya. No violence was reported. Late Saturday, only the most minor of disturbances were reported in the hours of after Kenyatta was named the winner.

Odinga, who called the election “tainted,” vowed to press a case of election irregularities with the Supreme Court. But he asked that Kenyans love one another and remain at peace.

The election commission said Kenyatta, the son of Kenya‘s founding father, won last Monday’s vote with 50.07 percent of ballots. Kenyatta stands accused by the International Criminal Court of helping direct some of the 2007-08 postelection violence in which tribes attacked each other with machetes and bows and arrows and the police shot protesters.

Five years ago, President Mwai Kibaki was hurriedly sworn in for a second term, even as Odinga said the election had been stolen. His supporters took to the streets.

At the time, the Africa Inland Church was targeted because it was believed to be patronized by the Kamba tribesmen of Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka, whose willingness to serve in Kibaki’s government was seen as a betrayal by the opposition.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News