Tag Archives: KPTV

Oregon father and son accused of sexually abusing young girls

An Oregon father and his son are accused of sexually abusing young girls, KPTV.com reported.

Lynn Payne, 72, and Bryan Payne, 46, were arrested on July 12. Bryan Payne is charged with sex abuse, unlawful sexual penetration and encouraging child sex abuse. Lynn Payne is charged with unlawful sexual penetration and sodomy.

Both men pleaded not guilty.

According to KPTV.com, investigators said the men sexually abused at least two girls under the age of 10. The abuse reportedly occurred primarily at the home where the two men live in Metzger.

Detectives believe there are additional victims.

Deputies said it was not uncommon for Bryan Payne to offer to baby-sit for friends and neighbors, KPTV.com reported.

Click for more from KPTV.com.

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Wash. homeowner shoots, wounds drugged-out intruder

An Washington state homeowner shot a drugged-out intruder who entered his home while he was asleep with his wife early Sunday.

KPTV.com reports thatthe suspect, Brian L. Creed, entered the home and started walking down a hallway toward the homeowner, who was standing outside his bedroom door.

When the 24-year-old homeowner told the suspect to stop, Creed allegedly charged the homeowner, prompting him to fire a shot at the intruder, the station reported.

Creed then allegedly tackled the homeowner and the two were involved in a physical altercation until the homeowner was able to hold the suspect at gunpoint until authorities arrived.

Investigators told KPTV.com that Creed had recently moved into a nearby house and admitted to having used methamphetamine earlier in the day.

Creed was reportedly treated at a nearby hospital. The homeowner was not injured.

Click here for more from KPTV.com.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Inmates on work crew save 3 boys from frigid Washington river

Rescue officials say a group of inmates on a prison work crew dove into a fast-moving, frigid Washington state river to save three young brothers who were dumped in the water after their canoe capsized.

KPTV reports the inmate crew from Larch Corrections Center was finishing their work for the day near the river when they heard the children’s screams.

“We just thought it was some kids screaming until we seen their two heads bobbing in the water with the canoe upside down,” Nelson Pettis, a member of the crew told KPTV. “They were coming down over flooded Salmon Creek. It was raging pretty fast.”

The three brothers, aged 8, 10 and 16, had lost control of their boat in the strong current. Pettis says he and another inmate Larry Bohn jumped into the river.

“I just let the current take me down until I could get to a spot where my feet hit ground and I tried to stay put. They actually came to me right there,” Pettis told KPTV. “Right then, the current swept me from underneath my feet and I grabbed onto the kids and got them to a little island in the middle of the river.”

Bohn helped the 16-year-old to shore and then helped Pettis and the two younger boys get onto a pile of floating debris in the creek until they could be rescued.Another inmate, Jon Fowler, helped the rescue crew carry the boys to shore.

“They were really scared,” Bohn told KPTV. “They kept telling us ‘thank you, thank you’ all over again.”

Clark County Fire District 6 Chief Jerry Green says the three boys and two inmates were taken to nearby hospitals with mild hypothermia.

“I think we did something that any good person would do. You see three helpless kids in a river, you help. That’s what you do,” Fowler told KPTV.

“Just cause we’re incarcerated, doesn’t mean we’re bad people, ” he later added. “We made some bad choices in our lives, but we’re still, we’re just like everybody else. We’re just paying our debt for what we did wrong.”

Prison staff tells KPTV the members of the work crew are serving sentences for non-violent crimes.

Click for more from KPTV.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Oregon family reacts to attorney's bombshell that he knew location of victim's body

An attorney for an Oregon man sentenced to 18 years in prison for killing a Portland teenager told a packed courtroom he knew where the girl’s body was early in the investigation.

KPTV.com reports that 17-year-old Parrish Bennette, who killed Yashanee Vaughn in 2011, has no chance of early release and will be 34 years old before being freed. Several of the 14-year-old victim’s relatives spoke emotionally and tearfully in the Portland courtroom on Thursday, but they weren’t prepared for a bombshell revealed by Bennette’s lawyer.

Attorney Thomas MacNair said it was the decision of Bennette’s two defense attorneys to delay divulging where Bennette had dumped Vaughn’s body after his arrest. MacNair stressed it was their decision, not one made by Bennette.

Bennette opted not to make a statement at his sentencing Thursday after pleading guilty to manslaughter as part of a plea deal.

Yashanee’s mother, Shaquita Louis, was overwhelmed and was unable to speak inside the courtroom. Other relatives said they were not surprised Bennette did not make a statement, apologize or show any remorse in court. Later, they expressed shock over what transpired inside the courtroom.

“She laid in two feet of dirt, decomposing and they knew where she was and didn’t tell us?” said Yashanee’s great aunt Marsha Hayes. “That is sick. That is inhumane.”

Louis said: “I didn’t get to bury my daughter like she should’ve been buried and for them to know and keep his mouth shut, it does not make no sense.”

Bennette shot and killed Yashanee last March. She was reported missing and initially classified as a runaway. Police later served search warrants in connection with the case and found blood and other evidence in Bennette’s former home in northeast Portland. Bennette was eventually arrested on March 31. Vaughn’s body wasn’t found on Rocky Butte until four months later.

Click for more from KPTV.com.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Portland emergency crews work to free woman stuck between walls

DEVELOPING: Portland rescue crews are attempting to save a woman wedged between a cinder block wall and another building, KPTV.com reported.

The unidentified woman, described as an adult, is alert and talking with rescuers. Crews are attempting to free the woman by cutting holes into the surrounding wall. She is wedged in about a foot of space and her feet are not touching the ground.

It is unclear how the woman fell into the space.

Click for more from KPTV.com

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Men armed with assault rifles walk through Portland to 'educate' public on gun rights

Two men seen walking down a Portland street armed with assault rifles told police they were exercising their Second Amendment rights and hoping to educate the public on gun rights.

Several calls were made to 911 on Wednesday afternoon, with alarmed residents reporting two men with guns strapped to their backs walking through the area of Southeast Seventh Avenue and Spokane Street in Portland’s Sellwood neighborhood.

When police arrived on the scene, they found two 22-year-old men carrying rifles openly on their backs. The two were also hold valid concealed handgun licenses in Oregon, according to Fox affiliate KPTV.

The men reportedly told officers that they were seeking to educate onlookers about their Second Amendment rights.

“Exercising my rights with a rifle to try to decrease the demonizing of peacefully exercising your rights in public,” one of the men, who declined to release his full name, told the station.

Portland authorities later identified the men as Warren Drouin and Steven Boyce. Officers said carrying firearms openly is legal in Oregon and carrying a concealed gun is legal with a valid license, according to the station. But doing one or both may generate 911 calls and possibly tie up resources that are needed for a real emergency.

One of the men told the station that he hoped people would approach him and talk to him, instead of calling police.

“What they really should do is observe the person to determine if the person is aggressive,” he said of seeing someone with a gun in public. “We’re not doing anything threatening to anyone.”

The Portland Police Bureau, however, asks anyone who sees someone armed with guns to immediately call 911.

Click for more from KPTV.com

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

Oregon mall shooting survivor tells her story

A teen who survived the Dec. 11 shooting at an Oregon shopping mall says she didn’t realize the gun that shot her was real until bullets started whizzing past.

KPTV (http://is.gd/dL7eqq ) shared on Saturday 15-year-old Kristina Shevchenko‘s perspective on what happened that day, when two other people died.

The teen was walking home from school and took a shortcut through the mall.

When she heard the first shots, she hid behind a pillar with her best friend, but when she looked down, she realized she had been shot in the chest.

She says she initially thought Jacob Roberts, who was dressed in black and wearing a mask, was pulling a prank.

Her father says it’s a miracle that she survived. He says Kristina is the family’s Christmas gift.

___

Information from: KPTV-TV, http://www.kptv.com/

Source: Fox US News