Tag Archives: Donald Vidrine

Transocean CEO: Rig workers should have done more

Transocean employees should have done more to detect signs of trouble before the company’s drilling rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010, killing 11 workers and triggering the nation’s worst offshore oil spill, the company’s chief executive testified Tuesday.

Transocean Ltd. president and CEO Steven Newman said the Swiss-based drilling company agreed in January to plead guilty to a criminal charge of violating the Clean Water Act because its employees on the Deepwater Horizon played a role in botching a crucial safety test before the blowout of BP‘s Macondo well.

“Do you blame the crew that night?” Transocean attorney Brad Brian asked Newman on the 14th day of a trial designed to determine the causes of BP‘s well blowout and to assign fault to the companies involved.

“Do I blame the crew? Do I wish the crew would have done more? Absolutely. I am not sure that that’s the same emotional content as blame,” Newman said.

Newman, however, said BP ultimately was responsible for deciding how to perform the safety test and for determining whether it was successful.

“The responsibility that our crew has in a situation like that is to line the test up, to make sure that the lines and the valves and the gauges are the way they’re supposed to be,” Newman said.

Two BP rig supervisors, Robert Kaluza and Donald Vidrine, are charged with manslaughter in the 11 rig workers’ deaths and await a separate trial. An indictment last year accused Kaluza and Vidrine of disregarding abnormally high pressure readings during the safety test.

No Transocean employees have been charged with crimes, but the company pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor charge in February and agreed to pay $1.4 billion in criminal and civil penalties as part of a settlement with the Justice Department.

Newman was in Geneva, Switzerland, when the rig exploded April 20, 2010. When another company executive called to tell him the rig was on fire and was being evacuated, Newman could tell from the man’s voice that “something was terribly wrong.”

“I kept telling myself that the first phone call associated with an incident is always as full of misinformation as it is of information, and so I just kept telling myself it couldn’t be that bad,” he recalled.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News

BP executive defends report on Gulf oil spill

The BP executive who led the company’s probe of the Deepwater Horizon rig explosion defended the contents of his team’s report on the disaster in his testimony Monday for a trial over the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

A lawyer for rig owner Transocean Ltd. asked the BP executive, Mark Bly, why the report doesn’t mention a call from BP rig supervisor Donald Vidrine to an onshore engineer, Mark Hafle, less than an hour before the blast killed 11 workers and triggered the nation’s worst offshore oil spill.

Notes from interviews by BP investigators show they knew about a telephone call in which Hafle and Vidrine discussed the results of a crucial safety test that Vidrine allegedly misinterpreted. Hafle told the BP investigators he had warned Vidrine that the results indicated the test may not have been properly lined up.

But BP‘s September 2010 report says its investigators found no evidence that the Transocean rig crew or BP rig supervisors consulted anyone “outside their team” about the test results.

Transocean attorney Brad Brian pressed Bly to explain that apparent discrepancy. Bly described the call as an “after-the-fact conversation” and said the details of their discussion weren’t completely clear. Bly also insisted his team’s report covered the test results “pretty comprehensively.”

Brian asked Bly why none of his handwritten notes include any mention of his team’s interviews with Hafle.

“Did you just decide not to write it down, sir?” Brian asked.

“I don’t recall,” said Bly, whose testimony started last Wednesday.

Vidrine and fellow BP well site leader Robert Kaluza were indicted last year on manslaughter charges stemming from the workers’ deaths and await a separate trial. Their indictment accuses them of disregarding abnormally high pressure readings that should have been glaring indications of trouble just before the April 20, 2010, blowout of BP‘s Macondo well.

The so-called “Bly report” focused on equipment failures and mistakes that rig workers made. Brian, noting that the Macondo drilling project was over budget and behind schedule, asked Bly why his investigation didn’t explore whether the blowout resulted from any decisions that BP made on shore that were designed to save time and money.

“Did you think it was relevant to your …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News