Mayor Rahm Emanuel called a rare special session Wednesday to deal with guns, the same day Cook County commissioners voted to strengthen the county assault weapons ban with tougher penalties.
Tag Archives: Cook County
Illinois man charged for biting another man's ear during dispute
Authorities say a 28-year-old Illinois man has been charged for allegedly biting part of another man’s ear off during a domestic dispute.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Office says Richard Vody of Justice was charged with one count each of home invasion, aggravated battery and domestic battery.
His bond was set at $250,000 Saturday.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Office alleges Vody forced his way into a residence and after a fight with the victim he bit off half of his right ear. Both men knew each other.
Cook County sheriff’s officers and Chicago police were later able to locate the missing part of the ear with canine units.
Vody doesn’t have a listed phone number. It was immediately unclear if he has an attorney.
He’s due in court Tuesday.
Click for more from MyFoxChicago.com.
From: http://feeds.foxnews.com/~r/foxnews/national/~3/WHjpGafHjDw/
Suburban Chicago woman charged with killing 1-year-old son
A suburban Chicago woman who reported that her 1-year-old son had been kidnapped is now being accused of killing the boy in a savage beating and concocting the abduction story as a cover-up.
Cook County prosecutors said Saturday that Lakeshia Baker of Maywood beat her son to death with a belt as her boyfriend restrained the child and placed his hand over the boy’s mouth to muffle his screams. Both are charged with first-degree murder.
The toddler, Bryeon Hunter, has been missing since Tuesday and is now presumed dead, though authorities have yet to find a body. The report of his kidnapping prompted an Amber Alert and set off a search of abandoned buildings, trash bins and industrial areas by authorities and volunteers. Canine units were brought in, and a search of the Des Plaines River was carried out with divers and sonar equipment.
The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office says that under police questioning, Baker admitted beating the child on Monday so severely that he died the next day. Baker’s attorney, Irv Frazin, did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment Saturday.
A judge on Saturday ordered Baker, 22, held without bond, the Chicago Sun-Times reported. Her boyfriend, Michael Scott, 21, who is not the child’s biological father, was ordered held in lieu of $750,000 bail, the newspaper reported.
According to prosecutors, both defendants said the boy’s body was placed in a backpack, but they each accused the other of disposing of it in the river.
From: http://feeds.foxnews.com/~r/foxnews/national/~3/kvlPd-4LSyk/
Cook County begins $25 gun tax…
Cook County begins $25 gun tax...
(First column, 13th story, link)
Related stories:
…read more
Source: Drudge Report
Play Beverages/CirTran Beverage/CirTran Corporation Get 3rd Win in 3 Legal Battles with Playboy Corp
By Business Wirevia The Motley Fool
Filed under: Investing
Play Beverages/CirTran Beverage/CirTran Corporation Get 3 rd Win in 3 Legal Battles with Playboy Corporation
SALT LAKE CITY–(BUSINESS WIRE)– For the third time in four months, Play Beverages LLC, CirTran Beverage Corporation and CirTran Corporation (OTC BB: CIRC) have won in court in what has proven to be a one-sided legal battle with Playboy Enterprises International, Inc. (“Playboy”).
On March 15, 2013, in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, the Hon. Kathleen M. Pantle denied Playboy’s motion to dismiss Play Beverages‘ and CirTran Beverage Corporation’s lawsuit against Playboy. Playboy claimed the lawsuit should be dismissed “with prejudice” based upon a stipulation Playboy had reached with Play Beverages in action in Utah (see, “U.S. Judge Takes Play Beverages LLC, Debtor to CirTran Beverage Corporation, Out of Bankruptcy, Free to Take Action to Protect Playboy Energy Drink Licenses,” BusinessWire, December 7, 2012). Judge Pantle disagreed with Playboy’s strained interpretation of the stipulation, opting instead to accept Play Beverages‘ contention that the stipulation was merely “a standstill agreement.”
Judge Pantle‘s ruling allows Play Beverages and CirTran Beverage to pursue their claims, including unlawful conduct against Playboy.
Earlier this year (see “Play Beverages/CirTran Beverage/CirTran Corporation Win over Playboy Corporation in California District Court, BusinessWire, January 31, 2013,) they won yet again.
“The courts have been unanimous in dismissing suits brought by Playboy in futile attempts to enjoin our companies from manufacturing and selling Playboy Energy Drink,” said Iehab J. Hawatmeh, CirTran’s chairman and president.
“We believed from the outset that Playboy’s claims were frivolous and without merit, and once again are very happy the courts agree,” he said.
“Further,” said Mr. Hawatmeh,” we understand that in all lawsuits there are highs and lows. However, it is comforting to see the courts recognize our rights — and those of our distributors – so that we may continue our business of selling an amazing energy drink throughout the world.”
Introduced in 2008, Playboy Energy Drink is manufactured and distributed exclusively by CirTran Beverage Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of CirTran Corporation under a product license from Playboy Enterprises to Play Beverages, and is currently available in more than 20 countries around the world.
About CirTran Corporation
Marking its 20th year in business in 2013, CirTran Corporation (www.cirtran.com) …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at DailyFinance
Convicted murderer mistakenly freed recaptured in Illinois
A convicted murderer from Indiana who was mistakenly released after a Chicago court appearance was back in custody Saturday after authorities tracked him down at a house in southern Illinois about 60 miles away.
Steven L. Robbins, 44, was rearrested late Friday night without incident in Kankakee, the Cook County Sheriff’s Department said in a news release. Although the details of his capture weren’t immediately released, officials said they used various leads and interviews with friends and family members at police headquarters to locate him.
The reason Robbins was able to escape in the first place, Illinois officials acknowledged, was because they lost paperwork directing them to return him to Indiana.
Robbins was serving a 60-year sentence for murder in Indiana and was escorted by Cook County sheriff’s deputies to Chicago this week for a court appearance in a separate case involving drug and armed violence charges — a case that had actually been dismissed in 2007.
After appearing before two Cook County Circuit Court judges, Robbins was taken to a jail on Chicago’s South Side. He was released hours later, instead of being sent back to Indiana to continue his murder sentence. The public was not alerted that he was on the loose for about 24 hours.
Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart on Friday took responsibility for Robbins’ release, saying a document showing he should be returned to Indiana disappeared while his deputies were transporting the prisoner, sometime between a Tuesday court appearance and his return to jail after a second court appearance Wednesday. Robbins was released Wednesday evening.
“We’re not ducking the fact we dropped the ball. We made mistakes,” Dart said. “The public deserves much more. We’re going to find out what went wrong here.”
But Dart and Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez, both prominent local Democrats, exchanged tense words about who should accept responsibility for having Robbins brought to Chicago from Indiana.
Alvarez said her office had told Dart’s office that it didn’t need to bring Robbins from Indiana because the drug and armed violence case was closed. But Dart’s office proceeded anyway, she said, because of confusion over the outcome of the case and because Robbins demanded to stand trial.
“The Cook County Sherriff’s Police, despite the fact that the assistant state’s attorney told them that they didn’t have to bring him back, they thought it would be better if they did bring him back to get this all cleared up because the guy keeps writing letters demanding trial,” Alvarez told reporters.
But Dart said his office sought — and was granted — permission from the state attorney’s office to bring Robbins to Chicago. The sheriff showed The Associated Press a copy of the extradition request from September signed by one of Alvarez’s prosecutors.
“We can’t just go to any state in the country and say `You know what? We’re going to take someone out of your prison and bring him here.’ … They’re the ones that signed off on allowing us to go get this guy,” Dart said.
Dart also said that because of an antiquated computer system, his office thought an arrest warrant for Robbins in the case was still active, which is why it asked the state attorney’s office for permission to extradite Robbins.
“It’s our fault but we move 100,000 people a day and it’s all done with paper,” Dart said.
Before Robbins was captured, federal and local law enforcement officers knocked on doors in Illinois and Indiana on Friday, including those of his friends and relatives, the sheriff’s office said. The FBI and U.S. Marshals Service offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to his apprehension.
Robbins, a Gary, Ind., native, was serving a sentence for murder and weapons convictions out of Marion County in Indiana.
Witnesses to the 2002 killing told police Robbins was arguing with his wife outside a birthday party in Indianapolis when a man intervened, telling Robbins he should not hit a woman, according to court documents. The witnesses said Robbins then retrieved a gun from a car and shot the man, Rutland Melton, in the chest before fleeing.
He started serving his sentence in October 2004 and his earliest projected release date was more than 16 years from now, on June 29, 2029.
It is not the first time a prisoner has been mistakenly freed from the Cook County Jail.
In 2009, Jonathan Cooper, who was serving a 30-year manslaughter sentence in Mississippi, was brought to Chicago to face charges that he failed to register as a sex offender.
Prosecutors dropped the charges because, as an inmate, he could not comply with the Sex Offender Registration Act.
A clerk reportedly failed to include the Mississippi sentence information in Cooper’s file, and jail staff released him.
Cooper turned himself in several days later.
In a more recent embarrassment for law enforcement officials in Chicago, two convicted bank robbers escaped from a high-rise federal lockup in December by climbing down the side of the building on a rope made of bed sheets and jumping into a cab. Authorities recaptured both men, one of whom remained on the run for about two weeks. Officials have yet to provide a public explanation of the jailbreak.
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News
Daley nephew appears before new judge
A nephew of former Chicago Mayor Richard Daley has made his first appearance before a new judge on involuntary manslaughter charges.
Maureen McIntyre of McHenry County presided over Friday’s hearing. She was selected after the Illinois Supreme Court ruled the case should be heard by a judge outside Cook County, where Daley was so influential for many years.
Daley’s nephew, Richard Vanecko, is charged in the 2004 death of David Koschman, who died days after he fell and struck his head during a fight with Vanecko outside a Chicago bar. Vanecko pleaded not guilty in December.
Friday’s hearing was taken up largely by a discussion about evidence.
Judge McIntyre also emphasized that she does not know anyone involved in the case and neither does her family.
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News
Transportation agency alleges United Airlines is running a 'sham business' in new lawsuit
A transportation agency plans to file a lawsuit Monday alleging that United Airlines is falsely claiming to buy huge amounts of jet fuel out of a small, rural Illinois office that doesn’t even have a computer to avoid paying tens of millions of dollars in taxes in Chicago, where the purchases are allegedly being made.
The Regional Transportation Authority alleges United Aviation Fuels Corp., a subsidy of United Airlines, has operated a “sham” office in the DeKalb County community of Sycamore since 2001 after reaching an agreement to pay the town more than $300,000 a year — a fraction of what it would have owed in sales taxes in Chicago and Cook County.
“The only reason that United Fuels has an office in Sycamore is to attempt to create a sham tax situs (location) for fuel sales in a lower taxing jurisdiction,” reads a draft of the lawsuit obtained by The Associated Press.
United officials say they have not seen the lawsuit, but that the Sycamore operation is legal.
The RTA, which contends the office has no computer and is staffed by one person who only works part time, said consultants visited the site on a recent weekday and found it locked with nobody inside. The agency said judging from the few chairs and empty desks seen through a window, there is little, if any, business occurring in the office.
“Whoever is out there is not negotiating hundreds of millions of dollars worth of jet fuel,” said Jordan Matyas, the RTA‘s chief of staff. He said any negotiations for fuel — as well as delivery scheduling, accounting, credit approval and administrative decisions — are being done in the Willis Tower in downtown Chicago, where United is headquartered.
The RTA alleges that American Airlines is engaged in a similar “sham” business out of an office it rents in Sycamore’s City Hall. But Matyas said American was not included in the lawsuit because the airline remains in bankruptcy, and that suing American would require litigating the case both in federal bankruptcy court in New York and in Cook County Circuit Court, where the RTA plans to file its suit against United. He added that the RTA does plan to pursue legal action against American at some point.
The two airlines are spending a staggering amount of money on fuel. Based on sales taxes that were paid in Sycamore, the RTA estimates that in 2012 alone the two airlines spent “approximately $1.2 billion on jet fuel the airlines” for jets at O’Hare, Matyas said in an email, adding that it is unclear how much of that was later sold to other airlines.
United officials said they have not received a copy of the complaint, but “believe that any such suit would be without merit.”
“In fact, the operation of our fuel subsidiary in Sycamore has been examined by tax authorities in the past and has been determined to comply with all applicable laws,” spokeswoman Megan McCarthy said in an email.
American spokeswoman Mary Frances Fagan said in an email that the airline does not comment on pending litigation but added: “What American is doing is permitted under Illinois law.”
Sycamore’s city manager, Brian Gregory, declined comment.
The RTA said in a prepared statement that “sales tax dodges” have cost the city of Chicago $133 million in lost sales tax revenue since 2005. They have cost Cook County an additional $60 million and Metra, Pace and the Chicago Transit Authority another $96 million, according to the RTA, which oversees the three agencies and relies on sales tax revenue for much of its funding.
“CTA, Metra and Pace have had to work with constrained budgets and have needed to raise fares and reduce service because the money’s just not there,” RTA executive director Joe Costello said in the news release. “Now we know why.”
The lawsuit is potentially embarrassing for Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who earlier this year called United’s decision to move its corporate headquarters to Chicago “great news for all Chicagoans.”
When told of the lawsuit, Emanuel spokeswoman Sarah Hamilton said: “The City has been supportive of efforts in Springfield to ensure corporations pay their fair share, but we have not seen this specific lawsuit and therefore cannot comment on it.”
According to the RTA, the total sales tax rate in Sycamore is 9.5 percent, compared to 8 percent in Chicago. But the RTA contends the airlines are getting an even better deal: The two companies have entered 25-year agreements that call for Sycamore to “kick back” most of its share of the sales tax on jet fuel — as much as $14 million a year — in exchange for payments of at least $300,000 a year from each airline.
A document provided by the RTA contends that the agreement with United calls for Sycamore to receive $360,000 to $556,000 between 2003 and 2026.
The lawsuit is part of a larger effort by the RTA to combat similar deals between various communities and companies.
The RTA, the city of Chicago and Cook County in 2011 filed lawsuits against Kankakee and the village of Channahon. They alleged that those communities’ tax incentive programs are costing other government agencies millions of dollars, because they allow companies to avoid paying higher sales taxes by moving purchases through satellite offices in areas where the sales tax rates are lower.
According to the RTA‘s lawsuit against Kankakee and Channahon, the agency is owed at least $100 million in lost revenue. The communities contend their programs are legal.
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox US News
Critics question aim of $25-per-gun tax in Chicago
With gangland shootings becoming an every-day occurrence in Chicago, the Board of Commissioners in surrounding Cook County is trying anew to tackle the deadly problem — with another tax.But already, some are questioning whether the move is more about making a statement than addressing the violence.
Source: Fox News – Politics