Tag Archives: West Indies

Ex-N.Z. Test star swaps doosras for dole queue

Former New Zealand Test batsman Mathew Sinclair pulled stumps on his cricket career, revealing he will instead sign on for unemployment benefits to support his family.

Sinclair remains the only New Zealander to ever score a double century on debut, smashing 214 against the West Indies in Wellington in 1999.

The lanky right-hander managed another double ton against Pakistan the following season but never cemented a spot in the national team, appearing only sporadically until his last Test in 2010.

At 37, Sinclair, who has a wife and two young children, said he could no longer rely on income from playing for the Central District Stags during the summer, then looking for casual work in the off-season.

He said prospective employers were reluctant to take him on when they knew he would be unavailable during the cricket season, so it was time to look for a long-term career.

Until then, Sinclair said he would have to sign on for the dole — a stark reminder that not all promising cricket stars go on to fame and fortune, particularly in a small market such as New Zealand.

“It has been very hard to look for some sort of meaningful employment… I had to make a conscious decision to give up the game to make myself more marketable,” he told Fairfax Media.

Sinclair, who played 33 Tests with an average of 32.05, said he hoped to forge a career in business, client or retail management, team-leading or motivational work.

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Afridi, Misbah rescue Pakistan against Windies

Hugely contrasting half-centuries by Shahid Afridi and Misbah-ul-Haq rescued Pakistan from a perilous position as they reached 224 for nine against the West Indies in the first one-day international at the Guyana National Stadium on Sunday.

Returning to the team after being omitted from the Champions Trophy in England in June, the mercurial Afridi smashed a top score of 76 off 55 deliveries while Misbah redefined the role of the cautious captain, occupying 121 balls for his watchful innings of 42.

The pair put on 120 for the sixth wicket, a new record in one-day internationals for the ground and the best for Pakistan against the West Indies.

Their effort was essential after Jason Holder wrecked Pakistan’s top-order batting in finishing with the outstanding figures of four for 13 off 10 overs.

The beanpole pacer, in just his fourth one-dayer, proved almost unplayable in overcast, seamer-friendly conditions with an exhibition of pace and accuracy that belied his relative inexperience.

Holder wasted little time in getting among the wickets after light morning delayed the start by 15 minutes.

Ahmed Shehzad played-on in the Barbadian’s second over while the experienced Mohammad Hafeez was a prized scalp, his off-stump sent cartwheeling when he opted not to offer a shot.

Holder was then fortunate to have an lbw appeal against the other opener, Nasir Jamshed, upheld and then removed Asad Shafiq first ball to a brilliant catch by wicketkeeper Johnson Charles.

He should have claimed a fifth wicket but what looked like an obvious edge to Charles off Umar Akmal was ruled not out by umpire Joel Wilson, the same official who ruled Jamshed leg-before.

Afridi wasted no time setting about the bowling, hoisting six fours and five sixes in a typically entertaining innings while at the other end, Misbah was content to support the rampant all-rounder by feeding him the strike at every opportunity.

Afridi eventually fell to a catch at deep midwicket off Kieron Pollard in the 39th over.

West Indies did not help their cause with a repetition of the bowling indiscretions which surfaced during the Tri-Nations series last week where visiting India and Sri Lanka beat them to the final.

They delivered some 23 wides and gifted a total of 28 extras to the Pakistani total. Given the potential potency of the Pakistani bowling attack, it may prove to be a carelessness they could ill afford.

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Holding calls for Broad ban over non-walk

West Indies great Michael Holding has called for Stuart Broad to be banned from the second Ashes Test at Lord’s after the England batsman refused to walk in the series opener.

Broad had made 37 with England, then 297 for seven in their second innings on Friday’s third day at Trent Bridge, when he edged teenage debutant spinner Ashton Agar.

The ball clipped wicketkeeper Brad Haddin’s gloves and then flew to Australia captain Michael Clarke at first slip.

Australia appealed for the catch but leading Pakistani umpire Aleem Dar ruled in the batsman’s favour as Broad stayed put on his Nottinghamshire home ground.

The tourists couldn’t believe the verdict but ultimately, as they’d already used up both their two permitted reviews in the innings, they were unable to challenge it by calling on the third umpire and had to accept Dar’s decision.

Broad finished on 47 not out, having so far added 108 with Ian Bell (95 not out), and helped Ashes-holders England to a lead of 261 with four wickets left.

Holding said the International Cricket Council (ICC) should view Broad’s decision not to walk — the practice whereby batsman give themselves out without waiting for the umpire’s decision — in the same light as when West Indies wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin falsely claimed a catch against Pakistan in a Champions Trophy match at The Oval in London last month.

Ramdin was banned for two one-day games by the match referee, who happened to be Broad’s father, Chris.

“What Stuart Broad did amounts to the same thing as Ramdin,” Holding told the Daily Mail. “He knew he had hit the ball. The ICC fined Ramdin and suspended him for ‘actions that were contrary to the spirit of the game’. What Stuart Broad did is contrary to the spirit of the game. He played the ball and stayed there.”

Maybe because cricket has tended to be a batsman’s game, not walking is seen by many within the sport as a lesser ‘offence’ than falsely claiming a catch.

The argument in support of this view likens the batsman to the accused man at a trial who is not obliged to incriminate himself before the judge, or umpire in a cricket context, passes sentence whereas the fielder who appeals for a catch when the ball has bounced is initiating a process based on deceit.

However it was an argument that cut little ice with former Test wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist who, unusually for an Australian, was a noted walker.

“Some people saying, you rely on the umpire. No you don’t, you rely on honesty,” Gilchrist tweeted, adding: “Disappointed by the Poms (English) today (Friday), if you’re out — you walk.”

But England batsman Kevin Pietersen insisted team-mate Broad had done nothing wrong, saying after Friday’s play: “Every single batsman who plays cricket, no matter who you play for, has the right to wait for the umpire’s decision.

“We play hard and we play very, very fair and every single batsman has the right to wait for the umpire.”

Friday’s incident was not the first time a member of the …read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Five Reasons To Love The Four Seasons Resort, Nevis

By Lisa Loverro, Contributor

Nevis epitomizes an island paradise. But while the visual beauty of this island located in the West Indies is undeniable, it’s the hospitality of the local people and its luxury resorts that will take you by surprise. The most luxurious of resorts is the Four Seasons, Nevis; the one that put this tiny and relatively unknown island in the Caribbean on the map.  Here’s my top reasons to love this property.

Source: FULL ARTICLE at Forbes Latest