Tag Archives: Iran Revolutionary Guard

Iran: Commanders authorized to respond to attacks

The spokesman for Iran‘s armed forces says military commanders have been given the authority to respond immediately to enemy attacks.

Gen. Masoud Jazayeri also says Iran keeps “all options are on the table”, language similar to that used by U.S. President Barack Obama to leave open the possibility of military action against Iran‘s nuclear program.

Obama told Israel’s Channel 2 TV Thursday that Washington still prefers diplomacy over force, but that a nuclear Iran is a “red line.”

Jazayeri didn’t elaborate. His comments were posted Saturday on sepahnews.com, the website of Iran‘s Revolutionary Guard, the country’s most powerful military force.

Obama said Iran is about a year away from developing a nuclear weapon. Tehran denies it is pursuing weapons technology.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Return of sectarian threats in Iraq raises alarm

The fliers began turning up at Sunni households in the Iraqi capital’s Jihad neighborhood last week bearing a chilling message: Get out now or face “great agony” soon.

The leaflets were signed by the Mukhtar Army, a new Shiite militant group with ties to Iran‘s Revolutionary Guard. “The zero hour has come. So leave along with your families. … You are the enemy,” the messages warned.

Such overt threats all but disappeared as the darkest days of outright sectarian fighting waned in 2008 and Iraq stepped back from the brink of civil war. Their re-emergence now — nearly a decade after the U.S.-led invasion — is a worrying sign that rising sectarian tensions are again gnawing away at Iraqi society.

Iraqis increasingly fear that militants on both sides of the country’s sectarian divide are gearing up for a new round of violence that could undo the fragile gains Iraq has made in recent years.

Members of the country’s Sunni minority have been staging mass rallies for two months, with some calling for the toppling of a Shiite-led government they feel discriminates against them and is too closely allied with neighboring Iran. Sunni extremists have been stepping up large-scale attacks on predominantly Shiite targets, and concerns are growing that the brutal and increasingly sectarian fighting in Syria could spill across the border.

Many Sunnis who received the Jihad neighborhood messages are taking the warnings at face value and considering making a move.

“Residents are panicking. All of us are obsessed with these fliers,” said Waleed Nadhim, a Sunni mobile phone shop owner who lives in the neighborhood. The 33-year-old father plans to leave the area because he doesn’t have faith in the police to keep his family safe. “In a lawless country like Iraq, nobody can ignore threats like this.”

Iraqi security forces have beefed up their presence in and around Jihad. The middle-class community, nestled along a road to the airport in southwest Baghdad, was home to Sunni civil servants and security officials under Saddam Hussein‘s regime, though many Shiites now live there too.

The Shiites, who are emboldened by a government and security forces dominated by their sect, have made their presence felt in Jihad in recent years. A Sunni mosque bears graffiti hailing a revered Shiite saint. A billboard on a major road shows firebrand Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr flanked by …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Iran Revolutionary Guard begins military exercises

Iran‘s powerful Revolutionary Guard has begun a three-day ground and air military exercise aimed at upgrading its combat readiness.

State TV says the drills involve ground forces of the Guard, Iran‘s most powerful military force, around the city of Sirjan in the country’s south. It showed tanks and artillery attacking hypothetical enemy positions.

The broadcast says the aim of the exercise is to upgrade the capabilities of the Iranian forces. It did not elaborate.

The war games are taking place amid escalating tensions between Iran and the West over Tehran’s disputed nuclear program. Israel has hinted that it may take military action if talks fail to get Iran stop its uranium enrichment program.

The U.S. and its allies accuse Iran of seeking nuclear weapons, a charge Tehran denies.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News

Bahrain Accuses Iran Revolutionary Guard Of Setting Up Terrorist Cell To Attack Government Buildings

By The Huffington Post News Editors

ABU DHABI, Feb 20 (Reuters) – Bahrain has accused Iran‘s Revolutionary Guard of setting up a militant cell to assassinate public figures in the Gulf Arab kingdom and attack its airport and government buildings.
Bahraini authorities said on Sunday they had arrested eight Bahrainis in the group, with links to Iran, Iraq and Lebanon.
The kingdom, base for the U.S. Navy’s Fifth Fleet, has been in political turmoil since protests erupted there in 2011, led by majority Shi’ite Muslims demanding an end to the Sunni monarchy’s political domination and full powers for parliament.
Bahrain has accused Shi’ite Iran of fuelling the unrest, an accusation Tehran has consitently denied.
In a statement published by the official Bahrain News Agency late on Tuesday, Bahrain‘s head of public security said the cell was part of a group called the “Imam Army” which included Bahrainis at home and abroad and members of other nationalities.
“Investigation has also revealed that a member of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard codenamed ‘Abu Naser‘ masterminded the whole terror operation,” the agency quoted public security chief Major-General Tariq Hassan al-Hassan as saying.
Abu Nasser supplied the group with $80,000, Hassan said, and instructed it to gather information, recruit and obtain weapons storage in Bahrain.

“MISTAKEN PATH”
The cell’s planned targets included the Ministry of Interior and Bahrain International Airport, he said. The group attended training camps run by the Revolutionary Guard inside Iran, as well as some operated by Iraq‘s Hezbollah in Baghdad and the Iraqi city of Kerbala, Hassan added.
Five of the detainees were arrested in Bahrain and three in Oman, General Hassan said, adding another four Bahrainis were being sought by the authorities.
He said authorities had collected evidence in the form of papers and electronic documents, flashcards, phones, computers, cash and images of bank transactions. …read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Huffington Post

Report: Senior Iranian official in Lebanon killed

Lebanese media say a senior Iranian official has been killed as he was returning from Syria to Beirut.

Hezbollah-owned Al-Manar TV said Thursday the chairman of the Iranian Council for Reconstruction in Lebanon, Houssam Khosh Nweis, was killed Wednesday by “armed terrorist gangs.” The station gave no further details.

Iran is a staunch supporter of Hezbollah and a close ally of Syrian President Bashar Assad.

An Iranian independent news website said Wednesday that a senior commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard had been killed in Lebanon.

Mashreghnews.ir named the commander as Gen. Hassan Shateri. It said he was the Guard’s leader in Lebanon and oversaw Iranian-financed reconstruction projects.

The difference in the name could not immediately be reconciled, but Iranian military officials in Lebanon often work under an assumed name.

…read more
Source: FULL ARTICLE at Fox World News