NEC ends smartphone development, will make no new models

Print Friendly

NEC will introduce no new smartphones, and will make current models only to order, as it struggles to find the economies of scale required to compete in the market.

The Japanese company is ending the development, manufacturing and sale of new smartphones, it said in a statement Wednesday. It will continue to manufacture existing models to order, and to maintain and support them, a spokesman said.

NEC will continue developing and producing conventional mobile phones, and will also operate its tablets business.

Separately, the company reported larger losses in the second quarter, while sales remained almost flat year on year. Net sales were up 1.4 percent to ¥640 billion (US$6.4 billion) while losses increased to ¥21.5 billion from close to ¥18 billion in the same quarter last year.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

…read more

Source: FULL ARTICLE at PCWorld

FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *